The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 19 August 2014

"put on"

To “PUT ON” is something we do all day from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same. And it has such an influence of how our day turns out. Distraction is a lure that looks to divert us from what is important. You can fill in the blanks. For me to wake up in the morning prior to sunrise and to sit on my desk with an espresso and a pipe in hand with the bible open in front of me is a very happy place, it is probably the finest chunk of my day. However I have noticed the distraction that looks to rob me of this tranquil but insightful time. I now resolve to get my priorities right once again, not that they had drifted far from where they should be but even the slightest deviation in course will find us in the wrong place. “Ahoy there, trim the sail!” “Aye, aye Captain”, I have heard your voice my Lord and Saviour, thank you for your correction.

It is not enough to put off a bad habit; we must replace it with something good. In context we must put off every distraction that keeps our eyes off the Lord Jesus, period! “Easy said than done”, some may say; perhaps but only when we capitulate to the distractions. Here then was my very first thought after rubbing the sleep from my eyes, “put on the mind of Christ”. With that as my foundation I am now ready to build with confidence.

I (we) must now begin to reason correctly, faith must become the springboard for our reasoning; I have an old nature that always if given the chance looks to rob me of the victory that is mine in the finished work of Calvary. But the truth be told, I am no longer justified by what I do but rather what Christ has done for me. In other words I am no longer classed as a sinner although sin still drives hard at my heels looking to trip me up. Every single Christian whom God has saved is no longer justified by what they do but rather what Christ has done for them. Now there are those who claim to be Christians, who in fact are not born of the Spirit. Religion is just another distraction, a vaccination, just enough of the distraction to keep one from the truth! Many amongst the catholic faith fit this bill. I know as I grew up catholic!

We all get dressed in the morning prior to setting out for whatever the day may hold. As Christians it is no longer colours we need to coordinate by, rather to pay careful attention to these instructions; The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. (Romans 13:12-14) – Regardless of where we may find ourselves in this Christian walk it is the same for all, the tug is real for all! But when we learn to dress properly and in the right order it will be well with our soul.

There is much to say on this topic but let us look to our King to resolve to put off the distractions, cry out to Him to help us see them clearly and then once seen to “PUT ON” whatever is needed for the time. We may need zeal when timid, of carefulness when in danger and the lists are endless but let us remember these words; “and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:24)

First thing in the morning prior to any other distraction looking to set you on the wrong course let us all learn to appropriate this counsel; “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” (Ephesian 6:11)

As I punch away at the keyboard even now I see a burst water pipe distracting my efforts to focus on my Saviour, no water to even flush the toilets. Praise God for His confirmation in all things, bless His name! Remember the words of the Lord Jesus; “foxes have holes and birds have nests but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head.” It’s the trivial things that often distract us, but we now have the mind of Christ, let all who belong to Him learnt to right our wrongs and seek out his grace and goodness throughout today, Amen and Amen!

Signing off


Tyrone  


  


  

No comments: