The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 2 August 2014

Hyssop

(Psalms 51:7) “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean…”

How many of us as Christians, have stumbled in a one area or another? What I mean by that is after salvation we have outsiders disqualifying us on our merits. “And you call yourself a Christian” is a phrase often coined! How many can actually say with Paul? “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” (1Corinthians 9:27) – I am guilty of not sharing his testimony in many areas of my life. In hindsight I hang my head in shame because of it. What is a man to do with such a burden over his head? I cannot do anything about my action prior to today, they have come and gone, but I most certainly can now cry unto my God and ask for forgiveness. I can ask Him to purge me with hyssop. I now beseech you Father to act favourably unto me, in spite of my poor judgment, for your name sake!   

I take solace in the fact that I am not alone as regret eats away at my soul. Others faced similar shames; David had great regret after going into Bathsheba, his sin was great but has my behaviour been any different in that sense? I may not have taken another man’s wife and then killed her husband to cover my sin; but I most certainly have failed in many other areas and on numerous occasions. I know I have been pardoned thanks to the greatest of Advocates who pleads my case on His merit and not mine. However that does not excuse my sins as if it is a light thing. Sins in a believer’s life are so serious and this is what Paul has to say about it; “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.” (Romans 6:1-4)

Disobedience has robbed me of so much joy, but I thank God that He is slow to anger and has been extremely patient with me. He has used discipline to teach me the errors of my ways, and for this I am forever grateful. He is a God who cares for His own, a shattered femur, HIV and divorce are but some of the scars I carry, even though there is much regret I wouldn’t change it for the world! In fact it is what God has chosen to use to open by eyes to my own idiocy. But to now know that I am covered by the blood of the Lamb will more than suffice! Continue to teach me the severity of anything contrary to your will for my life my gracious heavenly Father. Thank you for showing me with a renewed vigour that to continue in sin in any form whatsoever you will never accept. We must all be purged with hyssop!  

Sin must rock us to the core as we cry to our God, seeking His forgiveness. If we turn a blind eye to it, all it proves is that we have once again been enslaved with the yolk of bondage; the shackles that Christ obliterated by hanging on that cruel roman cross, where He defeated sin once and for all! Our cry must be the cry of David; “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (Psalms 51:7-12) -The blood of the Lord Jesus is the “hyssop” than now sanctifies us. Praise his name!

God’s means is far above all others, He is brilliant in the way He is able to turn and teach those who are covered by His grace; He is the greatest of Fathers and I love him so!  To think on my life with so many ill-advised mistakes, how they left me leprous and unapproachable and yet I am now able to cry with great assurance “it is well with my soul!”

We too like David must find forgiveness for our treachery, it is up to the individual to stand in the mirror and confess their errors. But once grace floods our soul and we find forgiveness we must also share in his objective and that was to teach others from his mistakes;Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.” (Psalms 51:13)
  
Why is it that I am once again able to have a joy in my soul and freely commune with God my Father in and through my precious Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ? God alone knows the depths of that answer, but what I do know is I too found it upon my hearts to cry, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” There was and still is a deep desire for God to continue to expose the rot, even within the deep hidden fractures of my life. How I long to be more like my Saviour! And what a great Saviour He is, who can ever compare? There is none like Him, praise His brilliant name now and forever more, Amen and Amen!   
    
“Singing” off


Tyrone

No comments: