The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Sunday 20 July 2014

Pursuing Holiness

(Romans 6:2) “By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?

Considering the Lord Jesus’ lessons we glean from scripture; it is extremely refreshing when the Word of God is enlightened to our minds. When understanding, it is as if a light switch has just been flipped; Christianity is most surely alive and it is refreshing to drink from the waters of life! God the Holy Spirit is the greatest of helpers as He teaches us all things pertaining to God and His kingdom; He opens deeper understanding of the Word of God to those who search it out.

Why is it important for the Christian to pursue holiness? It seems like such hard work at times! If this is the way you feel, like I once did, then we lack understanding. If we neglect this high calling and habitually remain in our sin, we will only ever be as effective as someone handicapped, always relying on others for help! If grace becomes license for our sin we have once again been tricked into believing a lie! This trap has ensnared me for far too long, but by the grace of God, “no more” is my cry!  

After a miraculous conversion about twenty-seven years ago, where the mercies of God carried me through such a radical about-face from so many sinful habits without any effort at all. However, before long a lack of carefulness cause me to fall victim to the same sins all over again. I could never understand that if I was now no longer class amongst the sinners: as I was now sanctified by the Lord Jesus’ sacrifice, He had paid the price for my sin and having understood that my debt had been paid in full. This is irrevocably true! - Why did I now have the urge to sin all over again? This then is the reason: - Just as a toddler learns to take their first steps leaving the immediate care of their god, mom! There will come a time in every believer’s life that they too will have to learn to stand and walk in this vicious world of sin. It is not as if the Lord forsakes us, He is always with us, but there must come a time where we must make our own choices. Will we go there, mix with those people or partake of this and that. The less careful we become as Christians the harder the lessons will be! Thank God that His grace has not only been extended to the strong per say but also to the weak, to those who kick against the pricks, those who think that they are strong enough to swim against the current. What a great merciful God I serve, He never gave up on me, but pay careful attention, there must come a time in a believers life that they themselves say, “enough folly, I’ve done it my way long enough, please Father God forgive me for my stubbornness and renew a right spirit in me, so that my life may now be about your will and no longer my selfish misguided wants”.

How much pain have I had to endure because of my foolishness; a shattered femur, HIV, insolvency and divorce…! ENOUGH!

I serve an awesome God, He has mercifully heard my cry and for this I am forever thankful!

Let us look at the account of the paralytic in the book of Matthew; And behold, some people brought to him a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven." And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, "This man is blaspheming." But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he then said to the paralytic--"Rise, pick up your bed and go home.” (Matthew 9:2-6)

Once our sins have been forgiven we will be able to rise up and walk in newness of life, overcoming the sin that once enslaved us, but if we neglect God’s call upon our lives and habitually go back to our old ways we will once again find ourselves incapable of walking freely in the Spirit. And before long we will find ourselves needing others to carry us on the same stretcher we clung to prior to salvation. Just like a dog returning to his vomit! Where confusion will be the order of the day!

Sin handicaps us, but if we look to God for grace to overcome sin, before long we will be running with our sister “peace” in the lush meadows of His freedom! This is the lesson we must all learn along our journey and the sooner it hits home the better! Sin has been conquered by the blood of the Lord Jesus; let us take revenge on that which held us captive for so long. Let us trust our God as we learn to approach His throne room of grace with complete confidence, knowing that His grace will suffice in any given bind we find ourselves in! No longer slaves to sin but freed souls indeed!

Signing off

Tyrone   


No comments: