The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 31 December 2011

Honest reflections!


“A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (Psalms 51:17) 

Another year comes to an end for some while others have just recently passed, with some now waiting the judgment of God, an event to happen somewhere in the not too distant future. I think of a passed press photographer Jon Hrusa, who just recently died long before his suspected allotted time of seventy years. For us who still breathe and are able to reflect on the highs and lows of the year, let us now do that!

My reflection is not so much on the material aspects of the year but rather my spiritual walk throughout and my relationship with my great King. It is a rather futile exercise if taken in its entirety as there is far too much to consider all at once. I need to examine the areas of my struggle and this must be done with a sober mind. Has there been any progress in my ongoing sanctification must be the question I scrutinize. The days of pretence should be long gone, just the mirror, our conscience and the Word of God to keep us thinking correctly.

I will use the list of the works of the flesh to examine how I progressed; “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21): - As I read through the list I realize one thing, without the work of the cross in my life I would be in serious trouble. I am left guilty as charged in every point, and without exception. I may not openly practice sorcery per say, but even if I bow down to anything acknowledging its priority higher that my great God at any given time; then I am guilty as charged! I do not consciously make it a habit to go out of my way to practice many on the list but our “bodies of death” will look for any excuse to enter into their sin if given an opportunity. Our minds on the other hand will repel all on the list as we put on the mind of Christ. But only when we put on the mind of Christ and only when we walk in the Spirit.

My question then is this; how successfully have I walked in obedience throughout the year and how diligently have I looked for the grace of God to walk in the Spirit? I suppose it is an impossible question to answer with absolute honesty. God Knows! What then am I thankful for? I am thankful for the resolve the Lord has given me in allowing me to consistently blog throughout the year, with many challenges along the way, these times have been very precious to me and I hope and pray that others too may have been reached through it, having a deeper relationship with our great God and our Redeeming King. God knows!

But what of all the continuous struggles, the areas where I find I am not as successful as I would like to be? They do disappoint, it does hinder my walk with the Lord and I hate it so! Having said that, the battle rages on, while I have breath, I have this hope and even in these areas of my life, I have the opportunity to conquer. Even with their disappointments they however do teach me to look for grace in times of need. I confess I am not always victorious, but one day we shall be like our glorious Saviour and so we fight on in His strength. Please help me be more astute in these weak areas of my life Father God, make me ever more like our great Saviour, your beloved Son. Help me continue to grow from strength to strength in the areas that bring glory to your name and help me die daily in the quarters that look to rob me from walking in obedience, I pray. Help all who call upon the name of Jesus as I know you shall, Amen!

This then is my prayer for all your children’s ongoing sanctification; “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. (Psalms 51:10-17)

On this last day of the year 2011 and into 2012 may we all carried with us this banner as it reads with hope and absolute assurance; “…"If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'"(John 7:37-38)   
  
It is the rivers of living water that I resolve to search out in this New Year, help all your children with this their desire, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone


No comments: