The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 22 December 2011

A raging war!


(Luke 12:5) “…Yes, I tell you, fear him!”

We have been warned to fear God for He is a consuming fire, and anybody who says they are not scared of fire is a liar. Who has ever seen anyone but a fool not show fire the respect it demands. And it was not the Caveman that invented fire, the early nomad may well have discovered it, but it was God who invented fire! If we by nature respect fire, how much more should we fear and respect the only true God? Man has a tendency, in fact it is a judgment from God to serve the creature rather than the creator; “For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. (Romans 1:21-23): - That which has been created may have the power to destroy the body, but it is only God who has the power to sentence a soul to eternal death, a never ending sentence in hell, where there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth.

“"I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!” (Luke 12:4-5)

With that said let us consider the pros and cons of sin in a believer’s life. I suppose it is both relief and heartache to understand that we as saints, children of God those who have been born of the Spirit understand that we have this evil tendency within us to be drawn away by sin. We carry with us this “body of death”! Even Paul made this statement; “Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12-14): - Perfection speaks of Christ, sin speaks of imperfection and Paul acknowledges that he was still a work in progress.   

“But I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.” (Romans 7:23): - And it was our great Saviour the Lord Jesus that taught us; and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12)   

It therefore is obvious that as Christians sin plays its part in our lives. What is a man to do? Well it is obvious a person must never become complacent with ones sin! We must always seek out God’s grace to put to death the sin of our bodies. I confess that I am particularly weak in this area and ask you to pray for me, so that I too can echo the words of Paul on a daily basis; “but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.” I am a selfish individual who bears the scar of disobedience in my body. This is not a confession to excuse my sin but rather a plea to God and to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ as I ask for your help through prayer, so that my life would in turn begin to honour and glorify our God. We have been instructed by the Apostle James; “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” (James 5:16)

We must continue to fight against the sin in our lives, as we have been commanded to put off the old man, in other words to kill the sin that remains active in our lives. If this is not our resolution we may find ourselves standing before this awesome God as a consuming fire; “For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” (Romans 8:13) - And – “Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. (Colossians 3:5-6)

These instructions from our heavenly Father are not optional but we are at war and we must learn to act like good soldiers, we must learn to fight and to kill.

Signing off

Tyrone

Much of these thoughts and references were taken from John Pipers book “A Godward Life”.


  


No comments: