The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Friday 1 April 2011

We must escape!

(Hebrews 2:3) “How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?”

The 1st of April, “April fool’s day!” Traditionally a day that I have had a lot of fun with, one year while still working as a photo journalist for Business day, I recall being set up by my boss, He sent me to cover a make believe job far away. I suspected foul play and prior to my arrival I decided I would reverse the prank on them. Half an hour or so into my trip I got on the phone and called my picture editor, with a frantic desperate pitch to my voice and I said, “Rob there is pandemonium here in Randburg, cops have blocked off the road outside Nedbank and their guns are drawn, and because of the dead-line I was on to cover the job they had sent me on I could not stop although I had tried calling earlier but couldn't get through on the phone, he remarked that I should have stopped. I stressed the point that it was going to be a real news winner and maybe they should look into it.” I knew that all the photographers were out and therefore if they wanted to cover it the boss (picture editor) would have to go himself. He then called back and told me that he was already on his way and I was not to worry about it. They had taken the bait! Shortly after that I got a phone call with someone laughing on the other side, it was the News Editor Andrew, “April fool” he said chuckling as he told me to come back to the office. He had absolute glee in his voice and felt that it was a fantastic idea to play a joke on me, but little did they know, “that he who last laughs last laughs longest!” I kept my peace. On arriving in Randburg Robby asked me "where is the commotion" and I sent him on a wild goose chase for a while and then I broke the news to him, “April fool” I bellowed! To be fair to Robbie, he took it well but as for the News Editor Andrew, he was not amused, in fact he actual sulked for days after.

Why the story you may ask? What aim is there to this story? April fool’s Day is a day that is traditionally known for jokes and tricks and if someone is caught by it, after a couple of laughs it is a day soon forgotten. The evidence of having been caught with egg on your face is never pleasant and many do not take kindly to it. But there is no real damage done if we end up being the victim to someone’s prank as most of us take it with a pinch of salt and possibly even laugh with them.

Judgment day will be no laughing matter; it will not be soon forgotten! It will have a sentence so immense that it will remain with all who end up under its wrath for eternity. I often make reference to this tragic day, as it will happen; it is neither joke nor any fairytale. The Lake of Fire is a real place with server consequences, I plead with all who will not take what the Bible teachers on the subject to be sober and seek forgiveness. Contemplate the seriousness of denial. I once believed that I would never fall prey to a virus, the HIV virus, other yes but never me, denial rife in all our lives. But ignore what the Bible teaches to your own peril! However if you are reading these words it proves only one thing, you still have times to repent and believe on the finished work of the cross. And for those who confess Jesus as Lord, the instruction to us is this, do not do what others have done; “They despised his statutes and his covenant that he made with their fathers and the warnings that he gave them. They went after false idols and became false, and they followed the nations that were around them, concerning whom the LORD had commanded them that they should not do like them.” (2Kings 17:15)

Come out from among them and be separate is our instruction. Let us take God’s Word seriously and not get entangled with the idle pranks of life, our enemy does roar ferociously and every day is April’ Fool’s Day to him, as he laughs at the expense of all who turn a blind eye to the life line God has extended to all in and through His dear Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. If we neglect so great a salvation, then we will be doomed for eternity. “Wipe the sleep from your eyes” I say, common let us rally together and let us encourage one another and find motivation to serve the Lord with all our hearts. It will be worth it all! “How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?” (Hebrews 2:3)

Signing off

Tyrone

No comments: