The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 9 April 2011

Escape for your life!


(Genesis 19:17) "...Escape for your life...”
I sit staring at the screen this morning the sun yet to make its appearance and not a tweet in the air, a manner of soberness filters my surroundings, with my mind rather locked on the account of Lot and His Family. There is much to glean, but without harping on all the mistakes he made, as I have almost certainly fallen more than he ever did by the lures and snare of life! So then who is without sin cast the first stone, as I would never qualify? Where on earth would the safest place be if we had to face righteous judgment? A pit where death is imminent, but in order to qualify as a stone-thrower you can have no sin in your life, in fact any sin (past and present) disqualifies your participation. It will be no different on Judgment Day, judgment will not come from sinners but only the righteous will qualify to judge. “As it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; (Romans 3:10)
It will not be as if your jury will debate your outcome on the evidence that has been presented, yet they too would all be guilty of the same crime and yet pass sentence on sin as sinners. They may not have robbed a bank, or murdered someone but they all would be guilty of breaking God’s law in one form or another. And according to the Bible, what is the outcome for sinners? Hell is the sentence! This is not the opinions of men but the Word of God! I have often heard many say, the Bible is a good book and we must learn from it as a guide but we must not take it literally, if this is your reasoning you would be wrong! It is not “trivial pursuit” we are playing, it is far more serious, and in fact your life does depend upon it! Just as Lot and His family’s life depended upon it! Lot and his virgin daughters made it out and not the rest of his family. It was a tragic end for some! So too will our end be tragic if we do not take what God teaches us in and through His Word.
Why am I spending so much time on warnings of late, I suppose everyone likes an encouraging message that gives us with hope and leaves us feeling secure. But why should we feel secure if it is only a false sense of security. We must be sure!
Let us have a look at the account of Lot, his family and their response to the warning. Firstly what was the caution? It was a warning to escape the imminent destruction of a city and for all who lived there. Flee and in so doing you shall live, ignore the warning and die! It was that simple! For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." (Genesis 19:13)
Of late I feel like Lot must have felt, I cannot stop my thoughts from thinking about the destruction that will soon be looming for all that live here now and especially for family and friends that will not take this warning seriously. No wonder I cannot get passed these types for blog entries. If I could, I would vigorously shake some sense in to all and sundry, but I know better! It is the goodness of God that leads a man unto repentance! I plead with you heavenly Father, the only great and true God, the only One who has it in His power to save. Shine your light into my life and my family and friends so that we may understand the severity of ignoring the looming destruction the world is about to face and more importantly the judgment all will ultimately face. The time for pretence is over; “So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, "Up! Get out of this place, for the LORD is about to destroy the city." But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.” (Genesis 19:14)
How will we receive this warning I wonder, will we take it seriously or will it be a joke to you? Will you accept the warning but persist to hanker after what the world has to offer to the detriment of our eternal well-being. I pray not!
“As morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city." But he lingered. So the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city. And as they brought them out, one said, "Escape for your life. Do not look back or stop anywhere in the valley. Escape to the hills, lest you be swept away." (Gen 19:15-17) 
Lot did obey the warning of the angels with his two virgin daughters, but as for his sons-in-laws they remained behind with their wives (Lots daughters) and they were destroyed with the city. His wife although she followed her husband persisted to look back after having been clearly warned not to, nevertheless she longed to have what she was now leaving behind and she also died with all in the city, and was turned into a pillar of salt. A fairytale some may say! But what will we say? Repent turn to Jesus and find life! We cannot serve God on our terms; we must follow His instruction if we are to escape His wrath! Nothing else will He accommodate! Man-made religion will not cut it, only true repentance will He accept!
I pray even now that this will be well received, nevertheless if not, I have exposed my heart and I will continue to pray for myself, my family and friends that God may have mercy on our souls as He has had mercy on mine. What have I done to find His favour, absolutely nothing, in fact amongst our family I am probably the least worthy of His grace and yet He has extended His loving hand to me. I have no claim to fame, for if it was not for His mercy I would probably be begging bread in some gutter somewhere, but now I have a hope that burns bright and clear and all because of what Jesus did on a hill some 2000 years ago, where He made a way for me and for all that would call upon His name.
In loving memory of Oupa, TJ Botha my grandfather, who had an instrumental role in my life, as he help execute God's plan even if he was not aware of it back then!
Signing off
Tyrone    

No comments: