The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 21 April 2011

Our Redeemer Lives!


(Job 19:25) “I know that my Redeemer lives.”

I often find myself running off with my own little war; therefore I have decided when needed to bring in the influence of other trustworthy brothers and let them speak to us all, I surmise most of the time that it will be C.H.Spurgeon, as I have said in time past that He must be the most well rounded balance bible teacher I have encountered. He is true to the text and does not let pet subjects influence his deliberation. In fact even when he was bombarded by those who came at him for smoking, he liked a good cigar, he used the Word to build his chase, not that his cigar smoking needed defending. We must not chase straw-men (decoys to take our eyes off the ball) but the real issues of our faith. I have even seen portraits painted of Him where a cigar was remove from that particular photograph used for the visual rendering. He never pretended to be who he wasn’t! We have enough to contend with, so let us not look for added things to shackle fellow believers. “There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him." (Mark 7:15)
Let us rather stick to what is sound, what will save a man and keep him saved etc...  

“The marrow of Job’s comfort lies in that little word “My”-”My Redeemer,” and in the fact that the Redeemer lives. Oh! to get hold of a living Christ. We must get a property in him before we can enjoy him. What is gold in the mine to me? Men are beggars in Peru, and beg their bread in California. It is gold in my purse which will satisfy my necessities, by purchasing the bread I need. So a Redeemer who does not redeem me, an avenger who will never stand up for my blood, of what avail were such? Rest not content until by faith you can say “Yes, I cast myself upon my living Lord; and he is mine.” It may be you hold him with a feeble hand; you half think it presumption to say, “He lives as my Redeemer;” yet, remember if you have but faith as a grain of mustard seed, that little faith entitles you to say it. But there is also another word here, expressive of Job’s strong confidence, “I know.” To say, “I hope so, I trust so” is comfortable; and there are thousands in the fold of Jesus who hardly ever get much further. But to reach the essence of consolation you must say, “I know.” Ifs, buts, and perhapses, are sure murderers of peace and comfort. Doubts are dreary things in times of sorrow. Like wasps they sting the soul! If I have any suspicion that Christ is not mine, then there is vinegar mingled with the gall of death; but if I know that Jesus lives for me, then darkness is not dark: even the night is light about me. Surely if Job, in those ages before the coming and advent of Christ, could say, “I know,” we should not speak less positively. God forbid that our positiveness should be presumption. Let us see that our evidences are right, lest we build upon an ungrounded hope; and then let us not be satisfied with the mere foundation, for it is from the upper rooms that we get the widest prospect. A living Redeemer, truly mine, is joy unspeakable.” (C.H.Spurgeon)

It is no use to try to get more zeal except in the right way, knowing more of Christ; and if we seek to grow in zeal as certain people we might mention have done, we shall have a zeal like a house on fire! It will do more mischief than it will do good. There may be some heat, and a deal of illumination; but it will die away, by-and-by, into black ashes, poisoning the churches everywhere.

I have seen a certain kind of revival in England, and I can always tell where such "revivals" have been by the scarred state of the places after them. These so-called "revivals" have been wrought by excitable meetings, held by sundry preachers, who have invented strange doctrines, but have said nothing about the grace of God. They have for a time stirred up the people to a kind of religious furor, and they have left behind them a very desert. Before them it was like a garden of the Lord, but behind them barrenness and desolation.

The church has been divided; there has been a reaction, and the people have sunk into the most lamentable condition. If we would have true zeal, it must be by the preaching of the good old doctrine, proclaiming Jesus Christ and him crucified; for anything else comes of the devil, and to hell it shall tend; its issue shall be destruction, and not salvation.

But if we keep to the truth of God, there will be "revival" enough. We want nothing but the good old-fashioned gospel to stir the world again. Though men have tried new schemes, God will not own them. All these heresies must be swept away, and the true gospel—distinguishing grace of God in all the sovereignty of election—must yet again be preached; and when it is preached in all its fullness, then shall the church be zealous, and then shall Zion arise, and shake herself from the dust, and put on her beautiful garments. (C.H.Spurgeon)
Taken from the pyromaniacs blog sight http://teampyro.blogspot.com

Let us learn to challenge our energy in serving God and Glorifying Christ with the right impetrate.

Signing off

Tyrone


No comments: