The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Friday 31 October 2014

Birthday Wish

As another birthday arrives and the years whiz by, it gets me thinking about so much wasted time; how much of my time spent here on earth has been fruitless? Involved with trivia that has eaten away at the call God has placed on my life. We only get three score and ten (70 years) as a rule and then whatever we have accomplished here on earth whether good or bad, will be judged. We will be rewarded according to our actions. “Those who are first will be last and those who are last will be first.”

We get one run at life and then the judgment! Our diligence involved with the secular world may prove our commitment to a task but it will not profit us one iota if it is to the exclusion of God’s will for our lives, it would be better to suffer loss and live a life of a humble existence remembering others before ourselves if we are to end up on the faithful side of God once we get to heaven. Our works will be tried by fire and whatever endures the test of God’s fire will stay with us into eternity, but the rest will be burnt up no differently to dross that disappears and will vanish as if it was never there.

Our careers, as we look to make money, our number one priority, will end up biting us in the butt. Fame or fortune will end badly! Technology can be useful, I am now able to search viva a computer which gives me information at the simple click of a button. But not only is that which aids in my obedience to God available, what about all the filth that is as easily obtainable? All the temptation that looks to drive me from the truth instead of towards the light; consider a man like Charles Spurgeon, he lived in the latter half of the eighteen hundreds, a man used mightily by God; a gifted man with a handle on the English language second to none. A man who understood spiritual truths that still teach us today. A man that I hold in very high regard! What of this man? He was a special individual no different to many of us in character; he even smoked cigars which many even today find distasteful. Amazing how we accuse or excuse on the basis of what we are and what we do. This in itself is a terrible trait we fight with daily. “O wretched man of death who will deliver me from this body of death?” Thank God for Jesus’ sacrifice! With that said, he had no television, or internet and all he did was read and write, no wonder he enjoyed cigars. A man totally dedicated to the study of God’s Word; a man who even today encourages me when I am at my wits end, I thank God for men like Charles Spurgeon.

It is easy for us to praise men like Charles Spurgeon, but when we use that type of reasoning to exclude ourselves from our part in God’s script, we have missed the boat. We all have a role to play in bringing glory to God, there is no exception! The question that needs answering is this, how faithful am I to God’s call upon my life? I am persuaded that if only I could strip so much from my life that occupies my time to the expense of my relationship with my blessed God and Father, my life would be far more fruitful. Here are some considerations; on the list would be TV! How much time has been spent in front of that box robbing me of blessed joyous moments and encounter with my God? This is an easy answer, why then do I still watch TV instead of embracing that which is profitable? I am not as convinced as I should be with life after dead in eternity! God change my understanding and get me to act in accordance with your will for my life, wasting less valuable time, as time is short and the work is plentiful.

I would far rather live in a shack without any comforts that drive me from God. My consideration on my birthday is what must be removed from my life to help me engage in an even deeper relationship with my heavenly Father. This must be done on an individual level; we must all look inwardly and not be overly concerned with our brothers and what they do. It must begin with self as we remember that we will all have to give an account to God on what we have done with the talents He has given us.

God help us to be diligent and honest in this area of our lives. This then is my birthday wish, to deepen in my understanding of my awesome God and Father and my beloved Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ.

Signing off


Tyrone.

No comments: