The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Distraction!

As I stumbled sleepily out of bed, trying to get my bearings after somewhat of a better night regarding actual time slept; my first thought, be still and listen…

This is now my consideration; the repeats to one’s life! When, why and how does it happen, and then what normally follows? As I gaze at a clock ticking along numerically, in sequence and without distraction. As I watch the minutes tick by on my computer screen a moth flies by, I am diverted by its flight but the clock’s ticking remains constant. We (humans) are subject to distraction but should we be influenced by diversion?

How often because of life’s distraction do we pay the ultimate price? I remember as a young boy in my early teens squaring up with another boy, a dispute needed settling! As we squared off, back and forth we shuffled with eyes locked on, both waiting for the opportune time to throw the first punch. Although it was a fair fight I remember being out numbered as the onlookers geared him on. This bothered me as I suspiciously believed I now had not only to focus on my opponent but I had to watch my back as well. With my attention now divided the inevitable happened; me on my back, defeated! Whilst sparring I heard a noise from behind that was misplaced, a shuffle of feet, I quickly glance in the direction of the noise, shifting my attention, in my mind’s eye I was now being attacked from the rear! It was a figment of my imagination! That distraction stole my focus and my opponent pounced; a split-second of my concentration diverted is all it took and his fist connected and down I went.

Distraction most certainly has its part to play in all our lives and sadly it is normally to our detriment. The serpent tempted (distracted) Eve with these words; "…Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?" (Genesis 3:1) – Her mistake, she engaged in the serpent’s distraction; it would have been better for her to have said nothing. And as a matter of fact it would have been better for all of us if she had remained silent. Men wouldn't toil to survive, women wouldn't bear children in pain and death would still elude the masses. With that said, it is what it is and sin now knocks at the doors of all alive today, it is the reality of life!

As children of God we must hunt obedience but distraction will continue to knock to bring about disobedience. We are taught to be on guard, we must watch, why? “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” (1Peter 5:8) - Always remembering that “humility” our sister is the one that keeps us focused. Keep her close and God will exalt us in due season! Our God has a massive heart, He is quick to forgive those who humble themselves seeking out His forgiveness and for this I am thankful. Remember when “enduring focus” becomes prominent in our lives God promises us this; “And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.” (1Peter 5:10)

What a gracious God we serve! Help all your children Father God, throughout today and from here on in, remain focused and free from distraction, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone




No comments: