(Psalms 142:3) “When
my spirit faints within me, you know my way! In the path where I walk they have
hidden a trap for me.”
It’s that
time of year again in the Southern Hemisphere, when the first rains are
traditionally around the corner; in fact, they are a little late, or so it
seems. Nevertheless, the birds sing out with greater vigour and anticipation,
as if they eagerly await some great event. Could it be rain? Could they be
beckoning God to open the Heavens, or maybe they wait for that great day that
we too should be eagerly awaiting, the return of our Lord? Whatever their
reason, it would be impossible to overlook them, as they look to be heard and
unmistakably have been. Music to my ears! How great is my God! I cannot recall
ever hearing such a choir with such gusto and deliberation; something is
definitely up, at least for the bird kingdom!
We know
that all scripture is given to help us get to heaven. All of it is important,
but not all has the same bearing on our lives at any given time. It depends on
where we find ourselves on any given day, but one thing is certain: we must all
be trained by the Word of God. Yet some instruction is applied weekly or on
other given days. For example, we see that fasting is part of the Christian
arsenal, yet we could never fast every day, nor should we! But there is a place
for it where and when needed. There are times when we should draw aside in a
prayerful manner and fast. This is more the exception than the rule. Then we
have instructions that must be done daily and without exception if we look to
walk victoriously in the Spirit. We must put on the “whole Armour of God”; “Therefore
take up the whole armour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil
day, and having done all, to stand firm.” (Ephesians 6:13). I have
addressed this before, but the mind plays tricks on itself; it almost likes to believe
that this topic is done and dusted. I said almost! This must become a habitual
practice; we must put on the “armour of God” daily. Without it, we are
vulnerable to the fiery darts of the devil; do not be fooled! Sure, we do
belong to our Saviour, as it was His work that saved us and not our own pitiful
works. Nevertheless, now that we are Children of God, we have been instructed
to walk in a particular fashion, and we will never achieve this without the
full armour of God. Not part of it, all of it! The Apostle Paul stresses this
point in meticulous detail. The only part of the body that has no protection is
one’s back; we needn’t worry about what approaches from the rear, as our King
has given His angels charge over us, and they have our backs.
I know that
at times I forget to get dressed for battle. It is like when I ride my
motorbike, I have boots that are cumbersome and a padded jacket that is hot to
wear, especially in summer. But if I reason with a sound mind, I understand the
advantages they bring me if I have a fall. I am often tempted to leave them
behind, and I reason like this; it’s just a little ride, I am sure I’ll be
alright! Is this how we think about the “armour of God”? One can never predict
an accident; that is why it is called an “accident”. So too, do we need to
understand the value of the “armour of God”? The devil goes around like a
roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. It was the Apostle Peter who taught us
this. Just when we think we have got things together, an unexpected trap
presents itself, and if we are not dressed for battle, it will lead to our
undoing. We know that God resists the proud and stretches out His hand to the
humble. It is the armour of God that ensures that we remain humble. But ignore
part of that armour, and we will be unstable!
Therefore,
let us remember to dress daily for battle. It is up to the ranking officials in
the army to prepare soldiers for battle. They set up a rigorous programme to
ensure that those under their command will be the best they can be when in the
throes of combat. This is why Paul has instructed us to put on the “whole
armour of God”, so that we can be the best we can be when the enemy approaches.
As a young
believer, I believe I was meant to be led by the Spirit. I still believe this,
but with a deeper understanding. Do not be fooled into thinking that no
responsibility has been placed on the individual to train for battle. We must
learn to discipline our bodies. In a nutshell, we must put on the “whole armour
of God”. That may mean setting aside time to dress for battle, no differently
from setting aside time to eat. It is a way of life, not a simple add-on. Let
us therefore make it a daily practice to train ourselves and to dress for
battle.
If you do
not set aside time, I fear for you, as I know that even when I set aside time,
it is not enough, because I have not yet mastered my dress behavioural pattern.
Yet we must heed Paul’s instruction with utmost diligence. The only way we will
achieve this goal is to have more of Christ and less of us. May God hear my
cry, Amen!
More, much
more I pray for all who belong to Him, it is essential to understand the
importance of this encouragement.
Be blessed
in Him my brothers and sisters in Christ wherever you may find yourselves
across the globe.
Signing off
Tyrone
No comments:
Post a Comment