The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 13 September 2011

The call of God!


(2Timothy 1:9) “Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began.”

The call of God is a mighty and special specific call; there can be no greater call!

I remember as a young boy sitting huddled in a group after soccer and cricket trails waiting for my name to be called out, and when I heard it I remember feeling the well of emotion stir as I thought, yep I’ve made it! All the hard work kicking the ball with my dad in the back garden had paid off. I was now reaping the rewards as I had been selected for the side. My name had been called! There was tenacity in the way I went about making sure that my name would be called.

In my final year at Greenside High, I recall my coach calling me over and saying to me that I would not be going to Craven Week trials (The Craven Week is an annual rugby tournament organised for the school boys of South Africa) as they had already picked their 8th Man. I was not happy with the news and made it my goal to prove the selectors wrong. I think that was my coach’s intention from the outset. My opportunity eventually arrive, Sandown high was the opposition and all the Craven week selectors where line side, now was my chance, I took it with both arms and play arguably the best game of my life. I outplayed my opposite number and he was the selector’s choice, in fact he had made the side a year earlier. My name was call and I was invited to Craven Week trials.

Forgive me for the apparent self-pat on the back, but my point will be evident. All I longed for all my life was to have my name called, to be recognised and be noticed. I am not sure that I was different to any other young boy, we all have a similar drives and that is to achieve. We all long to have our name called!

But could there ever be a higher call than that from almighty God, the only true God, the creator of the heavens and the earth? Never ever! The Apostle Paul embraced this call with all his might; “Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, “called” (invited, that is more accurately appointed, specifically called by name) to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God.” (Romans 1:1) – How did this happen? An audible voice boomed from heaven, this is all he needed to hear, to have his name called, meant the world to him. Here was a man that seemed to be possessed with bringing down the Christian faith with all his might and vigour, he seemed oblivious to the error of his ways, until God called him by name. Look at his life and then one understands what it meant to him; “Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.” (2Corinthians 11:24-28)   


I want us to ponder our lives and the call that we too have received if in fact we have indeed been called by Jehovah God. Have our eyes been open to the kingdom of heaven, are we born again, do we have the Spirit of God living within us? If this is true, then your name has been called by the great I AM, wow what a thought! Nevertheless it is true! Am I even more excited to hear His call than I was as a young boy waiting to have my name called after trials. At first many year ago, twenty two back I recollect the excitement that grip my soul, I may not have understood it like I now understand it but my zeal was far more real back then, forgive me Father! When the light switch was triggered and I finally had come to my senses, life now made perfect sense, heaven was real and I was going to let people know about it. The Lord Jesus Christ had died for my sins and He had forgiven me, wow! How was I to remain silent? It was not possible! I had heard my name called, not just by my soccer coach, but by God Himself, I weep even now as this reality resonates.

Where did I go wrong is my next question? I look at all the scars that I bear in my body from so many bad choices. There are so many false hopes and lies in this world with snares and traps on every corner just waiting to trip up the believer. And yes they do play their part in our lives along the way, but God who is rich in mercy is faithful to His call and will remain faithful to the very end, praise His majestic name! The Lord Jesus is the great Shepherd and He will not lose even one of his sheep, do you believe this? – “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:39-40) – Therefore I am persuaded that if God has called you by name, I do not speak about a general call, what I mean by this, is the Lord Jesus has died for the whosoever and the call has gone out to all, but only those who repent and believe and have be specifically called, they will never be lost!

And if you disagree with me then you do not believe the text quoted above. We serve a great God and the gates of hell will never prevail against Him, which would be impossible, it will never happen! Do not believe the lie if it be that you doubt His ability to get you home. Now with that in mind let us never forget what it cost our Lord and Saviour, He was crucified so that we could hear this awesome call from God, without His sacrifice there would be no call and because of it He is now not only own God but also our Father. No greater privileged is available to those who have been called, so the next time we think to complain, may we remember what it cost our King so that we could go free.

I am thankful Lord Jesus my Lord and Saviour for what you accomplished on Calvary and so long as you give me voice, I will declare this truth when and wherever the opportunity presents itself. I pray that the zeal I once had would be rekindled so that your name would be praise, that you would be high and lifted up, for you alone are worthy of all praise! Father God thank you for calling out my name, I could never repay you, except that I now no longer belong to myself, help me understand this with even more clarity than before.

Signing off

Tyrone  
  

No comments: