The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Friday 21 January 2011

Vanity

(Ecclesiastes 12:8) “Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; all is vanity.”

The character of man’s heart is full of vanity. He may not realise it or even understand the extent of it, but when we dissect the heart, its drive and it thoughts, then it is clear to understand why all is vanity. Solomon has amazing insight on the subject and it would be good to heed what he has to say. From as far back as I can remember, whether it was making sure I got the last sweet or the best seat in the car as a young boy, it was always about me. If I am honest with myself, has that change much? I can’t say with any certainty that it has, sure I may be looking at times to bless others, but as a rule it is always about me and my needs. I get up and wash, I eat breakfast, I have coffee, I make money so that I can buy food and goodies, and I save money so that I can have my next holiday. I, I and I! Obviously a lot of the things I do are extremely important and commands from God that I need be carried out, I must work or else I do not deserve to eat, etc. However I always err on the side of vanity and this is where I go wrong, it is my perception of life that is off balance and this is what needs adjusting. How different I am to my great Saviour. When I consider Him, I stand in awe when I see how he came to serve; God himself came to lay down His life for mankind. It is almost incomprehensible if I look at my wants against His selfless acts. I am so exposed when I look at His example, I want to crawl into a corner and slit my wrists, not really, but the expression rings true!

Why do I spend so much time with such senseless stuff? I know that it does not bring glory to my heavenly Father when I behave like this. “Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; all is vanity.” What does Solomon mean when he makes such a statement?

Through the whole book of Ecclesiastes he unpacks many examples pertaining to life and his achievements. He constantly explores every avenue with this in mind to understand life and our purpose here on earth in relation to God as the Creator with us as His creation. He constantly reminds us that there is very little benefit between those who have abundance and those who are forced to go without. Men gather wealth through much toil so that they can leave it to someone else. Have we ever seen a hearse towing a safe, it has never happened and it never will! Solomon had more wealth than any before him and yet he makes the statement, “Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher; all is vanity.”

Solomon labour's this point time and time again throughout this book, he sets out to make sure that the readers get his point; to seek for that satisfaction in God only and in their duty to Him which they can never find in the creature. He repeats his text, making sure that good understanding has come through to the reader on the penned wording. But he has built a strong case through many examples to prove his point. Yet he uses examples that are easy for us to articulate, they are very close to home and if we are honest with ourselves and with the text there is no place for us to hide, our hearts are exposed. Having exposed our hearts he now wants to leave us with instructions on how we should live. But firstly let’s see what we shouldn’t do! We should not run after vanity as all is vanity; all things in the world are vain; all creatures are subject to vanity; man in every state whether rich or poor, sick or healthy is altogether vanity: and Solomon affirms this with great confidence, after he had shown that not only childhood and youth are vanity, but even old age; the infirmities, sorrows, and distresses of which he had just exposed, he deals with all issue in death, the last end of man, when his body returns to the earth, and his soul to God the giver of it. We all sleep eat and then die, the evil as well as the righteous and both end up dead (in the flesh).

He concludes that all things under the sun are not only vain, but vanity itself, extremely vain, vain in the superlative degree; I am not sure I believe all Solomon teaches, that does not nullify God’s word but it exposes me, for if I did consider it my life would look very different. But of this truth I am absolutely persuaded, when God declares a truth to us from scripture, firstly it will come to pass and secondly if we align ourselves with His teaching we will end up as benefactors, this is a fact! So I should on a daily basis look to lay down my life for my brethren, but I don’t, I would go without so that others would not, It saddens me when I consider my lifestyle and the lap of luxury I feed off. I hope my perception of this begins to have a drastic change to my life. Scripture is there to rebuke us when needed, not that we should fall into a great depression but rather be provoked to good works. May this lesson of Solomon teach us to view all of life as vanity and help us understand the reality of it; with food and raiment we must be content; (Matthew 6:19-21) “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Solomon eventually wraps the chapter up with these words, in his summation of life and all our responsibility to it he thus concludes; (Ecclesiastes 12:13) “The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandment, for this is the whole duty of man.”

This is the lesson Solomon teaches and the Lord confirms it and highlights the point by mentioning Solomon in the above portion of scripture in the book of Matthew.

May I have ears to hear and eyes to see what God is saying to me and then may you also find the mind of Christ in this matter.

May God have mercy on our souls and quicken our understanding in this area of our life, O how we need it!

Signing off

Tyrone

No comments: