The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Christ our Conquerer!

(Matthew 4:10) “Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "‘you shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"

Before considering this text, I ponder the importance of self examination! It is one of the most natural things to point a finger at someone else’s imperfection but never that easy or comfortable to highlight our own limitations. Only once God the Holy Spirit, through His mercy begins to expose our blemishes are we forced to look to God’s word with an honest humility and then we find life in those areas we were once dead. It is one thing to highlight another’s faults, and I do not refer to a man's weakness in a particular area of his life, his struggle against sin as he scrupulously struggles to overcome, I dare not even utter a word on that subject as I recall failing with disobedience not only part of my life but the ruler of it. I can however say God is faithful and is slowly beginning to bring an understanding of the importance of obedience to my life, His name be praised!

What am I to do when I am convinced and persuaded on the wording of scripture and I find I have those that oppose my understanding? The temptation to put on gloves and enter the ring with vigour looking for that knockout punch is not going to cut it; it is only the goodness of God that leads a man to repentance. Why now do I think if I become more aggressive that my opponent will hear what I have to say, on the contrary the opposite will be true, he will disregard what I have to say before I have even said anything? Why is it that as brothers in Christ we so often engage in warfare with one another in malice and aggression aiding the devil in his conquest to bring fractions amongst believers? Having said that I am not for one minute suggesting that we do not stand upon the truth of God’s Word, but if we stand upon His Word then let us also take the full council of God and receive all the instruction that His word has to offer. The apostle James has been helpful to me on this subject; (James 3:13-16) “Who is wise and understanding among you? let him show by his good life his works in meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter jealousy and faction in your heart, glory not and lie not against the truth. This wisdom is not a wisdom that cometh down from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where jealousy and faction are, there is confusion and every vile deed.”

May my great God and heavenly Father equip me to be more like my great Saviour from day to day and might God the Holy Spirit continue to correct all who oppose His wisdom for the sake of our great Saviour even Jesus Christ our Lord.

What a remarkable example and legacy has our Great Saviour left us to admire and follow, it appears an impossible task at first glance but when we remember that He has overcome and defeated the evil one in every area of His life, I find a spark of hope that will be ignited for all who call upon Him. All glory and honour belongs to Him; long live our King, the King of kings.

Wherever we find Satan making inroads into our lives we need to echo the words of our Redeemer, “Be gone Satan! For it is written” ‘you shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" We must serve Him through fear; not a fear that has a slavish connotation to it as one that is in bondage and always finding the Christian walk a grind with a fear of hell and damnation; but with a liberty in Christ' victory, sure we must remain His bond servant as He has bought us with His precious blood, we no longer belong to ourselves but to Him to do with us what He wills. But we must remember His encouragement to us; (Matthew 11:29) “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Our fear must be a filial (a son father relationship) fear, a reverential affection understanding that God has saved us and brought us out of bondage. We once were blind but now we see! We once were the enemies of God but now we will be saved by our Saviours life! Therefore we should fear the Lord and His goodness and from such a fear serve Him in every part of our worship.

We must earnestly pray that God will give us eyes to see the cunningness of the devils exploits, rebuking him in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, but also remembering that outside of the Lords covering he would squash us like a bug.

The Lord Jesus was lead away to be tempted of the devil but we on the other hand are tempted when we are drawn away by our own lusts; (James 1:14) “But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.” The devil takes hold of that handle and uses our own desire against us, but the Lord Jesus had no corrupt nature so when He faced Satan there was no fear or trembling in His heart and like a champion He dominated and the devil fled from Him. May we learn to trust in Him and call upon his name when we face the trials of life always remembering that there is a throne of grace we (Christians) are entitled to draw from in time of need.

Signing off

Tyrone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good stuff bru