The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 18 September 2010

Pruning

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (Matthew 7:18)

When we look back in history we are able to see many men and some woman who made their mark as dedicated followers of Christ. We look at the Apostles and see how they were martyred for the hope that was set before them. They were seeking a city not from this world but a city whose builder and marker is God. Their faith in Christ and His resurrection had captivated their entire existence. What they witnessed and what they saw was so captivating, that they could do nothing else but preach the gospel even though it cost them their lives. Imagine if it be possible walking and talking with the Lord, God in the flesh, a man full of wisdom and the answer to every possible question you could ever think of. Not only did they walk with Him for three years but they saw Him ascend into heaven on a cloud after He had risen from the dead. Think about that encounter, try and visualise it. We believe it by faith; it is God’s gift to us, all who believe. But, they actual witness the Lord ascending in the clouds, from earth to heaven. How privileged they were. Then there were other faithful men that stood on God’s word and preach the truth to God’s people. Another man who has radically influenced my life with his sermons from the 19th century is Charles Spurgeon. These Faithful men, who dissect the word of God skilfully to help us grow and walk with insight, but what about the men who don’t always seemed to be as upright or as blameless. When I look at my life and I consider its mistakes and I then look to the word of God, that always speaks truth, for it is impossible for God to lie and so the bible-God’s word will never lie, remember that, it can’t! So whatever has been penned is for our benefit as believers. Yes is it hard at times to swallow, but if digested it, it will be to our benefit and nourish our body and souls. I pray that God would open our eyes so that we may see and in perceiving, to be honest with ourselves.

Can a person pick apples from an orange tree; the answer is obvious, of course not. Or do thorns grow on a fig tree? Again the answer needs no explanation, but a simple no is understandable. With this in mind when I look into the mirror, and I see the chapters of my life before me, I must conclude I am found wanting. My example in my actions leaves question marks to onlookers. If I compare my walk through life on earth to a fruit tree, what type of fruit am I producing? The text teachers us that a “bad tree cannot bear good fruit nor can a good tree bear bad fruit.” Yet my life has been full of disobedience and rebellion leading to bad fruit. So does that now make me a bad tree? Well the mind rages on, trying to get to grips with this verse, this truth. Therefore the word goes on to say “that by their fruit you shall know them.” This is a hard verse to look into the mirror with, but it is needful, so look and understand and then call on the One who is able to deliver you, the Lord Jesus. Again the truth goes on to love us and it announces that “not everyone that saith Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of God but he who does the will of my Father in heaven.” Fruit is linked and can be measure on our willingness to do God’s will. “Obedience is better than sacrifice.” It is only those who do the will of the Father that will get to heaven. That is clearly spelt out. It is all about the Fathers will, His plan, He is the potter and we are the clay. But with all our understanding on God’s Sovereignty and with the word teaching us, “so then it is depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” (Romans 9:16). With this verse in mind when I look at all my mistakes as a Christian what am I to do? The hyper Calvinist believes that God is Sovereign and therefore whatever He has pre-ordained will come to pass. This is obviously true, however where I differ in my understanding with theirs, I understand that I am responsible for my actions. If God has not shown me mercy for whatever reason and I in times past have walked in disobedience, could I have realistically acted in any other way? If it does not depend on “human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” This thought has disturbed me as I have disappointed my heavenly Father and walked in disobedience. It a terrible place, for one’s mind and thoughts to dwell. Thank God that He does not leave all those like me and others in my predicament without an answer and the hope of heaven and finding the will of the Father. Once again it is the apostle Paul that comes to the rescue and gives us some insight. In a house there are many ornaments and furnishings that occupy an abode. There are expensive pieces that are placed in positions for all to see and then there is less expensive practical gear that is never noticed. But remember God is the potter and we are the clay how can the clay tell the potter how he should be moulded. As a child of God we are now entitled to special privileges as we have the spirit of God and are part of Gods family. There is a throne room full of grace and as children of God we are entitled to the access of this throne, no, more than that, we are instructed to “draw near with boldness (confidence, bravery, valour and courage) unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and find grace in time of need.” Every time in my life where I have walked in unbelief (disobedience) I have ignored this command and not come to the throne of grace, but walked in the flesh. God has given me the ability to purge out all that defiles. How? In receiving mercy and finding grace in time of need. So we (all Gods children) can now have an influence on our position in Gods house, we can purge out all that which defiles and taints our example as Christians in this world. This is very encouraging and causes my heart to sing. I will now prove this thought to you by the word of God.

(1 Timothy 2:19-21) “Nevertheless the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, The Lord knows those who are His: and, everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness.”

20 “Now in a large house there are not only gold and of silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware; and some unto honor, and some unto dishonor.”

21 “Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.”

So then it is up to the individual to purge oneself. How is this done? Well we have covered that, we need to “receive mercy and find grace.” So in us, our own abilities as humans, it is impossible to achieve. However because of our new birth, because we have the spirit of God and because we now belong to His house hold and are His children we have right and privileges that unbelievers do not have. Although we have an enemy the devil who will always try and get us to walk in disobedience and our flesh that will also try and accomplish the same goal. We now have the wear with all to put off that which defiles and although we may have up until now, just been vessels of dishonor, we are taught and given a guarantee, look at the verse, “he will be a vessel for honor.” How I love God’s word. “A vessel of honor will be prepared for every good work.” What a hope I have, yes I may have blunder in times past, but now I by God’s grace have the wherewithal to receive mercy and find grace to equip me to become a vessel of honour and so do all those who have the spirit of God.

Remember Samson and how all had given up on Him, although his eyes had been taken from him, his hair once again began to grow and he was more victorious in his death than his entire life.

May God equip us with His Will?

Signing off

Tyrone

ps if you have any questions or any input whatsoever feel free to correspond...

tyronearthur1965@gmail.com

No comments: