The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Monday 3 August 2015

"A good man"

To what lengths would a man go to protect his family? I suggest that he would do whatever he has within his power to save them from certain destruction. Although we all have a built-in mechanism that kicks in when we look to escape certain calamity, there is an overarching exception that overrules our “flight” response when it comes to our loved ones. But for us to take up our responsibility in these types of situations we must be convinced by the cause. The Lord Jesus is the prime example when we consider such an action and the Apostle Paul brings this to our attention in the book of Romans…

“For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.” (Romans 5:6-10)  

There are all-embracing points that we need to highlight in this passage of scripture for us to understand the magnitude of our rescue. Firstly it was God who instigated our salvage; we were all in the same camp, the campground of the sinner. We were ungodly in character and gave no thought to God’s production, His will, intention and purpose; we were all insensible to it! We were all driven by our own lusts and our own little worlds were the be all and end all of our existence. We were self-absorbed and gave no thought for the life to come and the judgement of God. Sin had taken care of that! We knew no better! However even within the common laws of the land we live in, ignorance does not excuse us of a crime and we cannot claim a pardon on the basis of “I didn’t know”.

BUT GOD took pity on us and without God stepping in and saving us from our downward spiral, nothing in our lives would ever have changed. But thank God for stepping in. We must understand where we were when God chose to be merciful. Look at Paul’s argument, he points out the mercy of God and explains that we were still blinded by our sin when the Lord Jesus Christ spilt his own blood to set us free. “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” It’s not as if we instigated the first step in the process of our salvation. God was merciful. Why? Because He has it in His power to save and He is perfect in love, wow! Let that reverberate deep within your soul!

Conversely there are far too many that claim salvation and yet continue to live as they always did. If I continued in my sinful ways as a matter of course excusing sin as my right because I am now under God’s grace and not the law, I have understood nothing! Or if I have come to realise that the practice of sin is no longer an option for me but for some uncanny reason I continue in it, I am then setting myself up for many heartaches and I will be subject to my Father’s discipline. This was most certainly part of my involvement as a Christian. I thank God for His discipline! He cares for His own and deals with them as sons. If I claim to be saved and live my old debauched life with a seared conscience and am left to that type of lifestyle without God’s discipline, then I cannot claim true salvation; “But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. (Hebrews 12:8) – Why do I feel the need to highlight these particular points? It is simple, it doesn’t help to believe a lie and think that we will be safe when in fact we will face the penalty of that lie’s judgement. It is imperative that we know exactly where we stand. Examine yourselves in the light of the foregoing plugs and it will be very evident what needs to be done. We must be sure of our election and we must right our wrongs and repent (turn away from), this is critical for our eternal lives, do depend upon it. If you cannot with certainty say that I am a part of God’s army or I think I am saved, this kind of mind-set is far too risky and it is imperative that you do whatever is needed to be settled.

“Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.” (2Peter 1:10)  
                                                                                                    
As a father if I knew that someone was about to break into my house and take my family captive and do terrible things to them, what would I do? I can assure you that I would do whatever was needed to protect them. I would take the required precautions to keep them safe come what may. But for this to be realized I would have to have inside information. We have that inside information; the Bible has so declared it! If we study it we will understand the beginning form the end, therefore study it because your life does depend upon it. Be sure of your standing in the sight of God. It is not enough to know that God exists; even the demons know that He subsists and they tremble because their time to be judged is just around the corner. We must be known by Him and the only way this will ever be achieved in our lives is to find repentance from our sin in and through the darling of heaven, the Lord Jesus Christ.

God being God and understanding the beginning from the end knows that He will judge the living and the dead. He has predetermined this from before the beginning of time. It has always been a part of His plan, and I would once again remind you that this is His production and He will have the final say in all things. He has it in His power to do whatever He chooses. He could have left us to our own devises and let us rot in hell, for we all have sin that has tarnished our lives. But God is full of mercy and has afforded us a lifeline in and through His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, praise God! Paul therefore highlights this idea and brings it to our attention; that while we were the enemies of God, He chose to rescue some. Why only some? I suppose for us to understand the benefit of light we would need to experience darkness. How would we understand happiness and the benefits it has within our lives if we didn’t understand heartache? They complement one another. How would we understand the love of God if we didn’t experience His forgiveness? We wouldn’t!

Therefore it is obvious that some will embrace the love of God and seek out His forgiveness, while others will reject it. The question we need to ask ourselves is in what camp do we stand? Is the mercy of God needed in our lives? I know that it is the most important aspect to my life and I am forever thankful for His mercy toward me. Jesus dying in my place and paying the penalty for my sin even though He had no sin, this is a mammoth breakthrough within my understanding. I cannot thank Him enough, He has extended me a lifeline and by the grace of God I will clutch onto it with both hands. What will you do with His merciful offer? The choice is now yours…

Signing off

Tyrone  


No comments: