The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 4 September 2014

True Repentance

True repentance, what does it look like when studied under a microscope? It must be “true” to start with; it cannot be aligned with anything false, it must not carry with it any secret agenda with any ulterior motive. “I give because I got” or “I got because I gave” will not cut it! Or will it? It is obvious that if I give my tithes to the church hoping to get tenfold in return that I have an ulterior motive. We work in order to receive a salary. As a salesman if I do not make the calls I cannot get the orders, the more calls I make the greater the potential I create for more sales. I therefore need to call on customers to generate sales; my objective is to make money in order to live. I need to give of my time and energy to get a return.

However when considering “true repentance” it looks a little different when examined, how so? Firstly, repentance and grace need to work in harmony to justify the right result. Let’s say I see a man begging for daily bread and I have ten rand in my pocket, the price of a loaf of bread, the money is mine and not the beggars but I still have it in my power to give him the money or not; the choice is mine to do what I want with my money. I am presented with an opportunity to give or not to give. However if I give hoping to get a return then I have an ulterior motive but if I give expecting nothing in return I am then acting graciously. He has done nothing to deserve the money but I give it to him anyway. When we begin to operate in this realm we begin to understand the nature of our God. It is a free gift no differently in principle to what God has afforded me; His grace covered me and I found forgiveness of my sins, I did nothing to deserve it! God acted kindly to me because He had it in His power to forgive. This then is a free gift it wasn’t earned by anything I did or could do.

Salvation can never be earned the price is unobtainable. It is impossible to meet every requirement of God’s law. Only the man Jesus Christ was ever able to live a life free of sin. He alone now has the power to forgive mankind for their sin and He has chosen to do exactly that. But not all will find forgiveness for their sins. Why?

Let us reconsider the beggar, would I have given him my money if he hadn’t of asked? How would I know that he needed the money if he didn’t beg? It would be hard for me to second guess he was in need of my help if he did seek it. I suppose God has chosen to work in a similar realm, we must seek out His forgiveness in order to find His mercy in our lives. It is obvious that God understands that all need His forgiveness to escape eternal damnation. Why then doesn’t He save everyone? This is God’s domain and we as mere men cannot speak on His behalf, I certainly will not be that foolish. The Apostle Paul puts it like this; So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"” (Romans 9:18-20) – God is Sovereign and will accomplish whatever He has set out to do, this is a given! He is the conductor of the entire universe and we as individuals are caught up in our own reality, we live, eat and breathe our own lives; we are accountable to God for them. We will not have to give an account for how our neighbour has lived his life; that is between God and them. But we will certainly stand before the King of kings and give an account for our own lives. This is very clear from scripture, whether you believe it to be true or not has very little bearing on this truth, God has so willed it! “And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.” (Revelation 20:12)

With that covered what is the individual’s responsibility concerning true repentance? It is impossible for one to find favour in the sight of God on their own merit, “for all have sinned”. We must all come to the place just like the beggar and cry out for the forgiveness of our sin if we are to be covered by the grace of God. If not we will suffer want when we need it most, on the day of judgement.

I am reminded of the time when the masses gathered to hear from the Lord Jesus, some wanted food, others wanted healings but there were in fact a few who looked beyond their pitiful state in this life and wanted more, they wanted forgiveness. We can come to Jesus for many different reasons, what is your reason? I am thankful that He has forgiven my sins!

Now since the gospel has gone out to the four corners of the globe, we all have heard the gospel message and we have been left with a choice; do you see yourself as a sinner that needs forgiveness for your own sin? If so you must call out to God asking Him to show you unmerited favour; "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:12-13) - It is then obvious that we must call in order to be saved. Some will call while others won’t, but what will you do?


Signing off

Tyrone
    


       

No comments: