The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 31 January 2012

A Word in season...


(Proverbs 15:23) “…a word in season, how good it is!”

How often have we heard the phrase, “a word in season”? Just when all hope seems to want to breathe its last, our great God and King steps in on His white horse. Our Valiant to the rescue! I believe if we actually realized how often this actually happen on any given day we would be left dumbstruck. It is just the times that we are left to our own devises, when we look to do it our way, which really gets me down. Why? Because I realize I am not the person I was hoping to be. I think this probably has been my greatest disappointment in life. From an early age kicking the soccer ball with my father in the back garden, left me feeling as if I didn’t quite make the grade. What has changed? I am not quite sure anything has changed, physiologically that is. My brain still grasping for something it will never attain too, to be someone I am not. Then with the pressure of those around who feel you also should be acting differently, the way you are doing things is not quite right, etc. Brothers and friends squeezing you for something you are incapable of giving, we all are what we are by the grace of God. Maybe it’s time to stop pretending and to just trust on the Lord’s finished work.

So instead of looking to destroy what Christ has accomplished, as we continually remind ourselves that we are not worthy to enter into His presents on our own merits, which of course is very true, it is a “finished” work, and nothing anyone does or doesn’t do will add or subtract from what Christ accomplished on Calvary. He alone conquered hell, death and the grave. He alone opened the door to eternal life for all those who would acknowledge His accomplishments and those who would believe on the resurrection.

And yes there was yet another slip for me as I ended up doing something I should never have done, so what now? I have one of two choices, I can continue to beat myself up reminding myself how useless I am as a sinner or I can take Charles Spurgeon daily devotion, “a word in season” as direction from my God and seek His forgiveness and believe in Christ finished work and stop pretending to be something I am not. By God’s grace I will seek out the latter.

“The Lord our Righteousness.”
- Jer_23:6
“It will always give a Christian the greatest calm, quiet, ease, and peace, to think of the perfect righteousness of Christ. How often are the saints of God downcast and sad! I do not think they ought to be. I do not think they would if they could always see their perfection in Christ. There are some who are always talking about corruption, and the depravity of the heart, and the innate evil of the soul. This is quite true, but why not go a little further, and remember that we are “perfect in Christ Jesus.” It is no wonder that those who are dwelling upon their own corruption should wear such downcast looks; but surely if we call to mind that “Christ is made unto us righteousness,” we shall be of good cheer. What though distresses afflict me, though Satan assault me, though there may be many things to be experienced before I get to heaven, those are done for me in the covenant of divine grace; there is nothing wanting in my Lord, Christ hath done it all. On the cross he said, “It is finished!” and if it be finished, then am I complete in him, and can rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory, “Not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.” You will not find on this side heaven a holier people than those who receive into their hearts the doctrine of Christ’s righteousness. When the believer says, “I live on Christ alone; I rest on him solely for salvation; and I believe that, however unworthy, I am still saved in Jesus;” then there rises up as a motive of gratitude this thought-”Shall I not live to Christ? Shall I not love him and serve him, seeing that I am saved by his merits?” “The love of Christ constraineth us,” “that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves but unto him which died for them.” If saved by imputed righteousness, we shall greatly value imparted righteousness.” (C.H.Spurgeon)

May God patiently and graciously continue to bear with my/our inconsistencies as we see that day approaching. Thank you Lord Jesus for being our Valiant, my Hero and always extending a helping hand when there seems to be no hope. Others may look to blotch it with good intentions but clueless application, but your touch is always perfectly timed. You alone will receive all the glory!

Just maybe it is time to let go of self, please help me Father, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone   

No comments: