The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 7 January 2012

Full of thought!


(Philippians 4:8) “If there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

As I sit in the silence of which still appears to be night and then I glance down at my wrist-watch which informs me that it is well into the early hours of the morning, it is rather mystical, as the birds are very vocal and yet remove their chirps and one would hear a pin drop. I cannot recall when I have ever experience such obvious contrast, and there it is gone, the sound of motor vehicles on the highway now filtering through. It was nice while it lasted.

Christianity can have similar fleeting moments of shear brilliance and then it is vanishes as the cares of this world rob us as they remind us of so many triviums. Today is a day I wish to recall some of these precious moments to memory and then to pen them.

Let me go back to the beginning; Prior to salvation, or the awareness of it, I was seeking out the truth or so I believed, I was abroad in London, yet aware that there were many back home praying for me. With that as a backdrop life began to take on a new face. I heard blasphemy a lot clearer than before, I always heard the flippant use of my great Lord and King as people used it to curse instead of bless, but now it somehow cut a little deeper. My flesh, this “body of death” had run into ministers of light (angels had been summoned) and things began to change. In hindsight to claim that I had anything to do with the change would be rather conceited. Sure I needed to respond to the changes as they happened, but what choice did I actually have? Have you ever seen a man running into a tornado, or toward a fire instead of away from it? Once God decides to favour any sinner and reveal His beloved Son to them it is just a matter of time before the light switch is flipped. We that were once dead now find that we have received the greatest of gifts, we see God for who He really is. It was here for the first time that I understood true love; "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)

For us to remember and relish this selfless sacrifice we must sit in silence and remove the clutter of life. How often, what noises in life do we give ear too, and how much time have we wasted? Let us remember that Christianity is an ongoing lifestyle as we are all now new creatures in Christ, old things have passed away! However we need to be constantly reminded. The best way for this to take effect in our lives is to remember, remember what? All those times Christ has saved us from the miry clay, every time God our glorious Father has given ear to our prayers, and then the times when God has sent His ministering angels to sucker us in time of need. The list goes on and on, but it is needful to constantly think on the goodness of God as it will fuel our hope in Him. Faith is full of substance, yet it must be the tangible evidence in our own lives that we cling too and not that of another. We must be people full of thought; “if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

It is the personal rescue that I now wish to consider…

For God so love me that while I was yet a sinner, a dead man, unable to commune with God, in fact I had no inkling to really search Him out and yet He saved me. There was absolutely no merit in me to find this favour and yet I somehow found the answer to life in and through my precious Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ. My eyes were open to the truth of salvation by the precious blood of Christ, subsequently through life I have made many foolish choices and yet God in His mercy has been patient with me. I know what is meant by these words as I am able to relate; “Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble.” (Psalms 107:1-2)

Or what of the times where I disguised myself as one who was not saved as I ventured into their domain and ate my fill of their debauchery; “Some were fools through their sinful ways, and because of their iniquities suffered affliction; they loathed any kind of food, and they drew near to the gates of death. Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction. Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man!” (Psalms 107:17-21)  
 
I suppose on the surface I would wish to claim the testament of the Apostle Paul, but I am not Paul, in fact I am amongst the worst of examples and yet for me to lie about it would be sin. I am who I am and if it was not for the abundant grace of God working in my life I would be dead and without hope, but now I am able to confess Jesus as Lord of my life, in spite of my rebellion, thank you Father God for your unfeigned love, I will always be indebted to you, not that I will ever be able to repay the debt. I am nevertheless forever grateful and thankful, praise your holy name!

“When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?” (Psalms 8:3-4)

I cannot leave it at that, this is a general statement but when I personalize it, when I make it my own what can I say, my mouth is silenced. If the angels of heaven had to say, “Be done with him casts him to the dogs”, they would have just cause, who could blame them as they would have witness my life and yet they remain silent. Thank you Lord Jesus for dying for me!

What great love is this that God sent His son to die for me!

Wherever you may find yourself, if God has saved you in spite of yourself, remember this; “a bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory;” (Matthew 12:20) 

We must now learn to trust and obey…
 

Signing off

Tyrone




      


No comments: