The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Friday 11 February 2011

Fear No Evil!

(Psalms 23:4) “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;”

Do we actually believe this verse, David did! As far back as I can remember we used to sing this hymn at assembly in Primary (junior) School, “The Lord’s my Shepherd I will not want” and yet that is all my life has been filled with, “want!” words seem to roll off our tongues with such ease, and yet no real thought is given to what is said. I often say, I love you Lord, but if I loved the Lord I would keep His commandments...

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)

How often do I place my own wants and will before my great God? I am sorry to confess, far too often!

How often do I walk through the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil? The sad part of it all is how often have I not feared it and been a partaker in its debauchery. Far too often I must again confess. But having said that and never excusing my sin, I must acknowledge the faithfulness of God even through my disobedience. When I have been able once again to see the wood from the trees I have always seen the faithfulness of my Saviour. He has proved Himself to me, as if God ever needed to prove anything and yet He chose to save me, I am forever grateful. Even now I can recall some of those devastating nights that I faced in absolute terror and frustration as I recall standing on the edge of hell’s abyss ready to be swallowed up, to be lost forever and yet God in his mercy afforded me another opportunity to call out to Him.

I must try and explain how lost I felt, and how the blame rested solely on my shoulders, bad choice after bad choice left me spiralling out of control as the vortex of sin endeavoured to annihilate me and leave me stranded alone, eventually its destruction would have left me in some gutter, begging bread. It was only the grace of God that enabled me, bringing me to my senses as I once again called upon the name of the Lord. Having had so many diverse experiences of God's goodness to me all my days, in troubles a plenty, I will never distrust Him, how could I? No, not in the last extremity; because all he has done for me up until now was not for any merit of my own, but it has been purely for His name's sake, in pursuance of His Word, in performance of His promise, and for the glory of His own attributes and relations to his people, all those sanctified by the blood of the Lamb. Although, I have been the beneficiary of his grace, Jehovah’s name to be praised, and again I say praises to His holy name. That name therefore shall still be my strong tower, and shall assure me that He who has led me, and fed me, all my life long, will not leave me at last. If you once believed and you were truly saved, remember this He will not leave you for the wolves, even if you now are lost call out unto Him, He will rescue you! “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”, although I am in peril of death, in the midst of dangers, deep as a valley, dark as a shadow, and dreadful as death itself,” or rather, “though I am under the arrests of death, have received the sentence of death contained by myself, and have all the reason in the world to look upon myself as a dying man, yet I am free and at peace. “I will fear no evil, for you are with me.” I have received a life threatening illness, but I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Disappointment has often surrounded me, and my folly has often found me out, but I will fear no evil for you are with me. You are teaching me to obey, even if I am slow to hear, obedience begins to take root, praise your holy name. “Though he was a Son, yet learned obedience by the things which he suffered;” (Hebrews 5:8)

I see your hand at work in my life and I will fear no evil for you are with me. I have looked into the shadow of the valley of death and if one was alone it would be a frightful sight but as I look to my right I see my Saviour there, so I will fear no evil. At times when I look down into the sand I only see one set of footprints, when times were tough and I was without strength, it is not as if you have left me stranded but you rather carried me through the tough times of my life, when obedience was far from me, your faithfulness was ever so sweet, how grateful I am! As I look beyond the shadows and through the valley I see many fruit trees. “Your rod and your staff they comfort me.” Yes my Great God your rod and your staff they most certainly comfort me. Exalt the great name of the only wise God, Prince of peace, Councillor, King of kings, the great I AM, Jehovah God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Merciful God, with righteousness and justice in one hand and grace and mercy in the other, who can fathom the depths of your love, who could ever even begin to measure your mercy. No, not even all the containers in our world would be able to capture the immensity of your goodness. Your rod, my Saviour, your Son, He does comfort me and I will praise His name, for He alone is worthy of shouts of Acclamation. Have you not fed me with the finest of the wheat? I confess, “Yes the finest of the wheat”. God's ordinances are the green pastures in which food is provided for all believers; the word of life is the nourishment of the new man. It is milk for babes, pasture for sheep, never barren, never eaten bare, never parched, but always a green pasture for faith to feed in. Once we have been well fed and our eyes are now fixed on those things which are above, we must be led through the “shadow of the valley of death” yet now we will fear no evil because we have indeed tasted that the Lord is gracious. We must now desire the sincere milk of the word so that we may grow and eventually begin to eat and digest the meat of God’s Word. We must fear no evil; our hope will forever be in the house of the Lord. That day is not far now, just through the valley and up over the hill and we will soon arrive safely, unblemished and there we will eventually find rest for our weary souls. His name will be praised, as people have looked on and often written off God’s elect but all will arrive at that final destination, the house of the Lord will have no unattended chair and then shouts of acclamation like never heard before will roar through the heavens as our God’s name is praised. But until then, may we hold fast the hem of our Saviour's garment and forgetting those things that are behind us let us now shake off the dust from our knees if need be, let us stand and once again begin to run the race with zeal and diligence, lets us all lay hold of our eternal hope and find grace when needed to glorify our God for His name sake, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone

No comments: