The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 12 February 2011

Is Discipline Necessary?

(2Corinthians 7:8) “For though I made you sorry with my epistle, I do not regret it: though I did regret it (for I see that that epistle made you sorry, though but for a season)”

Many years ago, it must have been some twenty two years back, where I now sit in the very same room I once heard a question asked that my mind now contemplates. I live in a flat-let that was once used to feed a new church, the Randburg Coastal Assemblies of God. I now live in the very same room. It was in the early stages of my Christian life that I recall a question posed to the leader of the Coastal Assemblies at the time, Mike Atlee. The topic was on suffering for the sake of the Gospel; all young believers bear reproach and struggle with the issues of life as Christians looking for answers, trying to understand all the emotions that go with ones new found lifestyle. Life was filled with so many mixed emotions, not that it changes as you grow in Christ, but hopefully things get a little clearer.

The Apostle Peter teachers us: “For what glory is it, if, when ye sin, and are buffeted for it, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye shall take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.” (1Peter 2:20)

It is very clear that if we suffer for doing wrong, we are no different from everyone else; in our lives everyone mostly pays the price for doing the wrong thing . If I steal and I am caught then I am punished in accordance with the law. An example closer to home, after having been warned through the media and various Bill Boards in London that if one is promiscuous the chance of being infected with a HIV virus is very real, if I ignore that warning, which I did many years ago, and I end up with the virus then I am to blame and I will live with the consequences. Over the last seventeen years I have been in hospital at least six times maybe more. I have suffered with dementia, various lung infections, glandular fever, severe headaches, shingles, night sweats and many other complications which can be traced back to one bad decision. I suffer for doing something I shouldn't off done. That is not commendable before God, I got what I deserved! That is Peter’s point! But if I suffer for doing a good deed, let’s say I preach the gospel to a person and he responses to this glorious life giving message and he finds repentance and believes on the finished work of Calvary and he suffers much reproach from the people of his former traditions and religious upbringing as his family and friends persecute him. If they then look to persecute me for bringing this message to him, this would then be commendable before God as I now suffer for the sake of God’s kingdom. I trust the difference can clearly be seen.

The question posed was this, “if I suffer for doing wrong will this work out in my favour as a Christian?” the answer was, “yes it will”, although it may not be commendable before God, it must still work out for our benefit in the long run.

“And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good, even to them that are called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

I was disciplined as a young believer; in fact I was committed to Satan for the destruction of the flesh just like the man in the Corinthian church. That time of my life was a destructive time, and my life was in disarray. Shortly after that I found out I was HIV positive, I lost my company because of a gambling habit, I got divorced and I lost everything I owned through sequestration. Yet, the purpose of it all was to eventually bring me to my senses. I am pleased to say that the discipline worked in my favour as I now serve the Lord. Discipline must only ever be instituted so that it will eventually lead to rehabilitation, which in turn will get us home to heaven.

Let’s look at the Apostle Paul’s intention with the discipline he instituted on that young man in the church at Corinth...

“In the name of our Lord Jesus, ye being gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus, to deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that thespirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.” (1Corinthians 5:4-5)

The point behind this discipline was to teach him that his sin was serious, but it was so that his “spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus”.

We see this to be true when we read Paul’s second letter to the church at Corinth; “For though I made you sorry with my epistle, I do not regret it: though I did regret it (for I see that that epistle made you sorry, though but for a season), As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. “For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.” (2Corinthians 7:8-10)

This discipline did not only have an effect on the young man but the entire church was changed because of it. The young man is not singled out again but rather the church, but we must conclude that he also found repentance, because that was the point of the discipline, it was so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

In like manner my discipline also has had an effect on my life which I am now thankful for. Suffering will have its role to play in our lives, whether we suffer for wrong doing or whether we suffer for the doing what is right in the eyes of God. But we must never be under any pretence, the instruction from Peter is very clear, when we suffer let us not suffer as an evil doer but when we suffer let us not be ashamed.

“For let none of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or an evil-doer, or as a meddler in other men's matters: but if a man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God in this name.” (1Peter 4:15-16)

Nevertheless all suffering will ultimately benefit the child of God and God’s name will be praised.

Signing off

Tyrone

No comments: