🔥 Read My Story

Wednesday, 2 September 2026

My Happy Place

 

It is 3:32 in the morning as I begin writing this, and I have been thinking about something stirring in my heart.

We all know what a date night is. It is something couples do because they understand that relationships need time. They deliberately set aside other things to spend time together. It might be dinner, a walk, watching a film, or simply sitting together and talking. The activity is not really the point. The point is that they have made time for one another.

That got me thinking about my relationship with Jesus.

If He truly is the love of my life, why should I not be intentional about spending time with Him? Why should I not make time to sit at His feet and simply be with Him?

There is a difference between doing something because we know we should and doing it because we genuinely want to. I can read my Bible because it is part of my Christian routine. I can pray because I know I should. But what happens when I simply want to spend time with Jesus because I love Him?

Think back to when you first fell in love. Do you remember that feeling when their name appeared on your phone and you couldn't help but smile? For those of us from another generation, perhaps it was seeing their handwriting on a letter that had arrived by post. There was something about knowing you were going to hear from them or see them again that stirred something inside you. You looked forward to those moments because you wanted to be with the person who had captured your heart.

There were butterflies.

When was the last time tears of joy flooded your eye ducts because you were overwhelmed by the thought of the One who loves you more than anyone ever could? When was the last time you sat at the feet of Jesus and simply marvelled that He wanted you there?

Do we look forward to spending time with Him? Do we anticipate those moments when we can shut out the noise around us and simply be with Him? Do we enjoy His presence, or has spending time with Jesus become another thing on our Christian checklist?

That brings me to faith. Where does our faith live? Is it simply in our minds, where we agree that God's Word is true, or does it reach our hearts so that we trust Him enough to act?

Jesus said, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Matthew 7:7

Do we believe Him enough to knock? Do we long to knock because we believe there is Someone on the other side of the door?

This morning, when sleep vanished and eluded me, I realised I had an opportunity to spend time with Jesus. Rather than seeing being awake at 3:32 as an inconvenience, I could see it as an invitation to come and sit at the feet of my Saviour.

That thought took me back to Mary.

When Jesus came into their home, Martha was busy with everything that needed doing, while Mary sat at Jesus' feet and listened to Him. Martha was concerned about everything that needed her attention, but Mary chose to be where she wanted to be.

Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better part.

I think we can learn something from that. There will always be something to do. Another responsibility will always be waiting for us. If we wait until everything is finished before we make time for Jesus, we may never sit at His feet.

Perhaps being intentional simply means recognising that our relationship with Jesus matters enough to make time for Him. Just as a couple might protect an evening because their relationship matters to them, perhaps we need to protect time with Jesus because our relationship with Him matters to us. Not because we have to, but because we want to. Because He is the One we love.

This morning I was given one of those opportunities. Sleep had vanished, and instead of viewing those quiet hours as an inconvenience, I saw them as a chance to spend time with Jesus. It wasn't about the time on the clock, or about anyone else knowing what was happening. It was simply a chance to sit at the feet of my Saviour.

Perhaps we all have opportunities like that. Maybe it is not in the early hours of the morning. Maybe it is a few quiet minutes before the day begins, a lunch break, an evening when everything else is finally done, or simply a moment when we realise we have time. Do we recognise those moments for what they are? An opportunity to step away from the busyness of life and spend time with Jesus.

Perhaps being intentional is not about finding more time. Perhaps it is about recognising the time we already have and choosing to spend some of it with the One we love.

My happy place is sitting at the feet of Jesus.

Have you found your happy place?

Signing off

Tyrone

Scripture References: Matthew 6:1-6; Matthew 7:7; Luke 10:38-42.

No comments: