Part 20: The Palace Beautiful
Christian
has now come through the Hill Difficulty and has experienced both the
difficulty of the climb and the consequences of carelessness along the way.
After losing his roll at the arbour, he turns back, finds it, and continues on
his journey. It is after this that he comes to the Palace Beautiful.
As
Christian approaches the Palace, Bunyan introduces something that immediately
catches his attention. He sees two lions in his path and becomes afraid.
Watchful, the porter of the Palace, tells him that the lions are chained and
gives him an important instruction. He must keep to the middle of the path.
I think
there is something very practical here. The danger is real, but Christian is
not told to leave the road because of it. He is told to stay on the path. The
lions are chained, yet Christian still needs to be watchful and follow the
instruction he has been given.
This
connects with what we looked at in the previous post, when we considered the
spiritual battle described by Paul in Ephesians 6. We do not need to repeat
everything we have already covered, but Bunyan gives us another picture of the
same reality. There are dangers on the Christian journey, yet we are not left
without instruction on how we are to walk.
Christian
reaches the gate and is questioned by Watchful about where he has come from and
where he is going. He explains his journey and is eventually welcomed into the
Palace Beautiful. There he meets Discretion, Piety, Prudence and Charity, who
spend time with him and ask about the things he has experienced on his journey.
I find this
part of Bunyan's story interesting because Christian is not simply given
somewhere to sleep for the night. He is welcomed into a place where he can
rest, fellowship with other believers and talk about what he has experienced.
He is also reminded of the things he has already learned along the way.
They talk
with him about his journey, including what happened at the Cross and what he
saw at the Interpreter's House. Christian has come a long way, but he is still
learning.
This is
where I think of Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus. Martha was busy with the
many things that needed doing, while Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and listened
to Him.
Jesus said:
“But one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which
will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:42 ESV
This
morning at 3:45am, I once again rolled out of bed with the same goal in mind,
to sit at the feet of Jesus. I have written before about what I call my “happy
place”, and for me that place is sitting at the feet of Jesus. As I read about
Christian being welcomed into the Palace Beautiful, I could not help but
reflect on the importance of having a place where we can stop, listen and allow
the Word of God to instruct us.
But Bunyan
does not leave Christian there. He shows us that a journey still lies ahead.
Christian
is taken to the armoury and shown the provisions prepared for pilgrims. He sees
the weapons provided for those travelling in the service of their Lord. This
follows naturally from what Christian has already experienced and reminds us
that the Christian journey is not simply about finding somewhere comfortable to
rest. We need to be prepared for what lies ahead.
Paul tells
us:
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.” Ephesians 6:10 ESV
And then:
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness,
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12 ESV
Christian
is being prepared because a battle still lies ahead. The lions are chained, but
they remain. The instruction remains the same: stay on the path.
This is why
I keep returning to the Word of God. To understand the journey and recognise
the dangers along the way, we need something more reliable than our own
feelings or opinions. The Word of God must remain our teacher and our final authority.
It must always have the last say… Always!
There
have been times in my life when I have wanted my great heavenly Father to
change my circumstances, only to realise that what I really needed was to sit
at His feet and allow His Word to change how I saw them in relation to my
journey. I do not always understand what Jesus Christ, my Lord, is doing, but I
am learning to trust my great heavenly Father and His Word.
Jesus said:
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you
rest.” Matthew
11:28 ESV
Christian's
time at the Palace Beautiful gives him rest, fellowship and instruction, and it
also prepares him for the next stage of his journey. He will leave the Palace
and continue along the road, facing whatever lies ahead.
As I think
about that, I am reminded again of why sitting at the feet of Jesus is so
important to me. I do not sit there because I have everything figured out. I
sit there because I need to hear what my Lord has said and to allow His Word to
guide me as I continue along the road.
Signing off
Tyrone
Scripture References: Luke 10:42, Ephesians 6:10, Ephesians 6:12,
Matthew 11:28
No comments:
Post a Comment