The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Monday 11 May 2015

Relationships

Relationships come and go and it is easy to prove this as a reality if one just looks at some of the stats on file. On reflection what once appeared to be a rock solid relationship often falls apart due to varying reasons. However when we get to the root of the problem, if honest we will see that selfishness has played its part in most breakups. “I didn’t get it my way”, or “I lost that warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach”. Instead of looking for the positives, there comes a time when looking for justification in the breakup becomes the order of the day. A reason for why I no longer need to be bound to my commitment. It frustrates me that as a Christian I have failed dismally in this area of my life. But for me to sweep it under the mat per say and not look to learn from my mistakes would be equally as foolish.

It is imperative as Christians to find the will of God for our lives. This is the call for all. Many make catastrophic mistakes along the way and sadly I am amongst that number. However my God is full of grace, full of mercy and He is patient with even the most unruly of His children, praise His name! God does not neglect His commitment in any relationship and how I love Him for that. I am reminded this morning of my impulsiveness but at the same time His commitment overshadows all of my weaknesses, hallelujah!

To witness my Heavenly Father begin to restore what the cankerworm has eaten from my life is very refreshing and I am able to echo these words; Jesus looked at them and said, "With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27) – To blotch what we had once been given and then to fall to ones knees in repentance seeking out God’s graces is the greatest destination known to me. Some create bucket lists for their time here on earth, “why shoot so low” I ask myself? God’s forgiveness is just a cry away; bless His abundant ability to even consider forgiving a reprobate like me. And yet Jesus Christ my Lord and Saviour has died knowing the beginning from the end, this blows my mind! He initially forgave me for my sin way back in 1987 knowing very well that I wound make so many mistakes along the way and yet He was still willing to enter into a relationship with me, now that is love personified! There is no volatility with God He sticks true to His commitment and I am so thankful to Him for His overarching love, it causes me to cry no more folly my God and by your grace I will love you in return with all my heart.

My encouragement this morning is to those who haven’t quite cut the mustard as Christians, be encouraged and repent of your idiocy and cry out to a faithful God and Father who is quick to forgive. Having said that, sin is the enemy, give it no place in your life, as it will always look to rule. The purpose of Christ dying such a cruel death was to break the shackles of sin and He has shattered its power. It is now up to us as individuals to seek out God driven graces to overcome the obstacles that keep us from our intimate relationship with Him.

To be tricked into believing that God will tolerate our sin because we are weak is exactly that, a bogus thought from sins deception. We must look for His ongoing sanctification in our lives and when this becomes our resolve from day to day, restoration will take place in your lives and of that I am persuaded. How far can we fall? Read psalm 51 and it will soon become evident that God is quick to forgive just so long as we are devastated by our own sin.

How I long my great God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to nourish our relationship with greater intent, I am now yours, I belong to you and not my selfish wants; thank you Father God for your immense commitment in this relationship even when mine nose-dived. Thank you Jesus my great Shepherd, thank you God the Holy Spirit for your role in exposing my sin and causing me to acknowledge it by driving me to seek out God’s forgiveness.

I will leave you with these encouraging word from a brother who I have never met but look forward to our encounter in heaven one day for he has been of great encouragement to me through the toughest of times…

“I am with you alway.”
- Mat_28:20
It is well there is One who is ever the same, and who is ever with us. It is well there is one stable rock amidst the billows of the sea of life. O my soul, set not thine affections upon rusting, moth-eaten, decaying treasures, but set thine heart upon him who abides for ever faithful to thee. Build not thine house upon the moving quicksands of a deceitful world, but found thy hopes upon this rock, which, amid descending rain and roaring floods, shall stand immovably secure. My soul, I charge thee, lay up thy treasure in the only secure cabinet; store thy jewels where thou canst never lose them. Put thine all in Christ; set all thine affections on his person, all thy hope in his merit, all thy trust in his efficacious blood, all thy joy in his presence, and so thou mayest laugh at loss, and defy destruction. Remember that all the flowers in the world’s garden fade by turns, and the day cometh when nothing will be left but the black, cold earth. Death’s black extinguisher must soon put out thy candle. Oh! how sweet to have sunlight when the candle is gone! The dark flood must soon roll between thee and all thou hast; then wed thine heart to him who will never leave thee; trust thyself with him who will go with thee through the black and surging current of death’s stream, and who will land thee safely on the celestial shore, and make thee sit with him in heavenly places for ever. Go, sorrowing son of affliction, tell thy secrets to the Friend who sticketh closer than a brother. Trust all thy concerns with him who never can be taken from thee, who will never leave thee, and who will never let thee leave him, even “Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and to-day, and for ever.” “Lo, I am with you alway,” is enough for my soul to live upon, let who will forsake me.” (Charles Spurgeon)

Signing off

Tyrone

            
    


No comments: