The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Jesus Christ has made me His own...


(Philippians 3:12) “…because Christ Jesus has made me his own.”

This is where Christianity hangs its hat; it is about our relationship with Him and His with us. It is about where we see ourselves in God’s economy, do we belong to Him or not? How can a man claim the promises of faith, and there are many, if he is not sure whether Christ has made him His own. It will be evident for all to see if someone truly believes that Christ has made them His own…

What of my life and an honest answer to this question, has Christ made me His own? The answer must obviously be yes, for without that truth I beat the air hopelessly and am someone who has a hope that does not exist. What a tragedy that would be. If I cannot answer positively to that question then I would be of all men most miserable. Imagine a life without hope. Our lives are full of hope; hope is alive from day to day and in fact minute to minute. Without it we would find no will to live. Even the atheist has hope; not of heaven to come but he hopes for a better existence here on earth; a child asks his parents for ice-cream, in hope that he will receive some. Would he ask if there was zero chance? No! So too is it with each of us, fill in the blanks and all must come to agree.

However with the knowledge of Christ making me His own, what would prove I understood this with certainty? Let us look at the Apostle Paul’s example; it is obvious he believed this truth with all his heart; when others look at our lives is it that obvious? I am not convinced, forgive me Father God and once again help me with my resolve to find the grace to change.

There where times in my life where this truth was undeniable. I would venture, some would say foolishly, into Hillbrow alone and share the Gospel with those who would listen. Sure I was young and full of zeal even though it was without knowledge. But in hindsight which is better some zeal or no zeal? Zeal speaks of assurance. Paul had both zeal and knowledge. Let us now unpack some of his life, the proof of his assurance and then we can examine our own lives as a comparison, not so we place ourselves on the coals as one without hope, but rather be stirred by his great example to become better believing Christians and to spark the zeal in our lives that once burnt bright and clear. If Christ truly saved you, zeal in some form has to be evident.

This then was Pauls journey here on earth once he realised that Christ had made him “His own”; He was beaten for the sake of the gospel countless times, beatings became a way of life for Paul and yet he continued to preach this glorious message of hope, that Jesus came to save the lost, that He had paid the price for sin and that he was truly the Messiah. That whoever would confess their sins, repent and turn to Him seeking out His forgiveness would be saved. A very unpopular message and so those in authorities who took umbrage to his message would strip Paul down and beat him; the bible teachers us that this took place countless times. Three times he was beaten with rods, once he was stoned; three times he was shipwrecked and spent a day and night adrift at sea. He was constantly on the move with all the dangers that went with that, robbers and the like. He was constantly in toil and hardship, through many sleepless nights, was cold from the elements and often went hungry. And yet probably his greatest concern was the wellbeing of the churches he had fathered. The anxiety seemed to hit him hard as there were wolves (false teachers and apostles) that lurked trying to destroy what he had started with false teachings. And the list goes on…

History tells us that he was eventually martyred; could there be any doubt to him understanding that Jesus had made him His own? No doubt! His life proves this, I wonder where I stand. I know that the Lord Jesus has made me “His own”, but when I look at my life and its example I am left wanting. Help all of us imitated Pauls great example, not that we could ever be him, there was only one Paul, but to learn from him would be beneficial and to think with any other mind-set would be detrimental. It is grace we need Father God to once again ignite zeal in our lives to lay down our lives for you and our great Saviour. Hear my cry I pray.

Signing off

Tyrone




No comments: