The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Sunday 12 February 2012

The Mercy of God!


(Romans 9:18) “So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.”

"To be like Jesus, all I ask is to be like Him", is a request that is unobtainable in us, it is impossible and yet with God all things are possible. How then is it possible to be like Jesus if we have been doomed to destruction because of our sinful natures? Just as all things began with God and all things will end with Him concerning the human race, so too will it then rely on Him to get us to be like Jesus. No other way is possible and the process involved is extremely painful and filled with much disappointment. It is all based on the reckoning of God because of what Christ achieved on Calvary and not that which is achieved by man. If it was, then Calvary would lose its significance, but it never will, how could it? Therefore self-justification or accusation is a dangerous by product of the old nature wanting to taint the work of the cross. It never sleeps!

I have however a more serious concern that God is capable of justly imposing His judgment on an individual and freely loving another in spite of themselves. Regardless of opinions or fallacies, the Word of God is very clear on this point. The problem we have when getting our head around this fact is we box God into human understanding, which in itself is a tragedy. We process information like this; if I will not act like that then how can God? It is obviously a warped perspective as our reasoning springs from a fallen nature, we were born into sin! What is the point I refer too? Here is the text; “though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad--in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls-- she was told, "The older will serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.(Romans 9:11-16)

Many conclude and even teach that God acted like this because he could see their future, which is not what the text teachers. In fact it tells us why he chose to act in such a manner, it is all about God and His choices and not the choices of men; election is of God. It is all about His mercy and whom He chooses to have mercy on. This very reasoning helps us exclude any boasting from the equation of salvation. It begins with God and it ends with Him. It is all about Christ’s achievements and not ours.

With that understood where does that leave me? This is now where the rubber hits the road. How can I live a life of perpetual sin through points in time hoping that the grace of God may abound? How I hate myself when this becomes a way of life. Even though I know that it is so destructive I still find myself destroying that part of me. I can but only cry out for the mercy of God and pray please forgive me Father. He is just and perfect and He will decide my outcome. How I dread missing out on His mercy. Forgive me for even reasoning like this at times sweet Jesus, but for me to be false would not be honest, it is my heart I expose and hope and pray for your oil and the wine to heal the wounds.

Whatever you chose to do with me, Father God, I know will be the right thing. All I am capable of doing is calling out for your mercy in time of my need. Thank you Lord Jesus for your selfless sacrifice and forgive me for my selfishness.

Signing off

Tyrone  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyrone, You know that I respect your view on Romans 11, while I disagree with this (Reformed/Calvinistic)interpretation. If I may offer another perspective .... The great mystery that had been hidden in ages past, but now revealed to Paul (Eph 3) was the inclusion of the Gentiles in God's plan of redemption. It is this great truth that Paul is demonstrating and explaining in Romans 11. He starts by speaking of the nation of Israel, He illustrates that it is God who makes these choices and decisions and we can't question the Potter. He then concludes with the saved Gentiles being grafted in. The goodness and mercy of God then sends Paul into raptures of praise. Through Romans 11, as a Gentile sinner, I am assured of the mercy of God if I respond to His call through the Gospel and embrace Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. This is what the Sovereign Potter has chosen to offer me in His Son. What mercy!!! What comfort!!! What love!!!