The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 11 August 2011

O wretched man that I am... part 3!


"O wretched man that I am I who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God, through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 7:24-25)

I am convinced that in me, I speak as a man, as one under the law of the conscience, who has now received eyes in which to see, and one who understand God’s involvement in my life. God’s law (the Ten Commandments) was passed down from God to Moses and then from Moses to the children of Israel in the wilderness. The law was initially intended for the seed of Abraham and not the gentiles, as we were already condemned because of Adam’s sin. It was only when the Lord Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice were we given a life line: - “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16) 

Although I grew up with catholic heritage as my grandmother was an avid catholic from Tuscany, Italy. I never understood God’s rules, their purpose and the reasons for their specific instruction. Nevertheless when I told my first lie or stole my very first sweet, I was left feeling condemned. My conscience was at work. I was never taught to feel like this, this happens to all by default. Why? When Adam ate from the tree of the “Knowledge of Good and Evil”, this is exactly what was passed down, the knowledge of good and evil. We did not only become aware of that which was evil but also that which was good. In principle, even our conscience teaches us wrong from right and it effects both the believer an unbeliever alike or at least to some extent.

The reason why we do not all hold to the same values on every topic depends on how effected we are through the trials of life. In other words, the more I lie through life, the easier it becomes for me to lie as my conscience gets seared. The Apostle Paul teaches us about the conscience; “through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared.” (1Timothy 4:2) – It is lie after lie that desensitizes the conscience and the same can be said for every other sin. And obviously, the sovereignty of God plays its part where and when He chooses. He hardened pharaoh's heart to act in a certain manner.


“If I chose to occupy your time with controversial matter, I might prove to a demonstration that the apostle Paul is here describing his own experience as a Christian. Some have affirmed that he is merely declaring what he was before conversion, and not what he was when he became the recipient of the grace of God. But such persons are evidently mistaken, and I believe wilfully mistaken; for any ample-hearted, candid mind, reading through this chapter, could not fall into such an error. It is Paul the apostle, who was not less than the very greatest of the apostles—it is Paul, the mighty servant of God, a very prince in Israel, one of the King's mighty men—it is Paul, the saint and the apostle, who here exclaims, "O wretched man that I am!"
Now, humble Christians are often the dupes of a very foolish error.”  
(Charles Spurgeon) - Delivered on Sabbath Morning, January 23rd, 1859, by the REV. C. H. Spurgeon at the Music Hall, Royal Surrey Gardens

“The more mature (a) believer is, the more likely a believer is to open his mouth in any expression of worship and come out, first of all, with a confession of his own unworthiness. It was Isaiah, you know, who was the best man in his nation, he was the prophet of God, he was the noblest of all who in Isaiah 6 said, “I am a man of unclean lips and I come from a people of unclean lips.” And he pronounced a curse on himself for his own wretched sinfulness. It was the Apostle Paul in Romans chapter 7 who said, “O wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from the body of this death?” He was the best, he was the best of us, maybe the noblest Christian that ever lived and he was really distraught and overwhelmed by his own wretched sinfulness.” (John Macarthur) – The Believers confession of Sin, October 18th 2009

Although I was not brought up like Paul, one who knew and studied the law of God, I nevertheless also still have this daily struggle with “O wretched man that I am”. It is obvious that this struggle will remain with us until we fall asleep (we die). It is the Christians struggle!

It is almost as if we have two natures, two men living in one body and they are at constant war with one another. Maybe Galatians best describes it; “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.” (Galatians 5:16-18)

There is a lot more to consider, so until tomorrow then…

Signing off

Tyrone  








No comments: