The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Resolved!

(Psalms 15:1)  “Who shall dwell on your holy hill?”

Revolution, truth and resolution what do they have in common? This is what I would like to try and bring together this morning. But before I do this I need to unpack the definition of each word as I understand them, and then try and somehow tie them together for the purpose of my post. I am rather serious about these areas in my life and look to rectify them with significance.

Revolution (noun) could be use to explain an overthrow of government, it could be a major change (a drastic change in ideas or practice), or a wheel could do one complete circular movement around a fixed point.

Truth means actual facts, not what people believe. The actual facts or information about something, rather than what people think, expect, or make up.

Resolution could mean a process of resolving; a firm decision to do something; determination; or a formal expression of the consensus at a meeting, arrived at after discussion and usually as the result of a vote.

I suppose two factors got me thinking like this last night, the one was the news of “Bin Laden’s death” and the other a documentary “John Lennon vs USA”. They both were radical in their cause; they were revolutionists, one for peace and the other for war. They both had an objective. But what I would like to hone in on is this, their examples! They stood for major change (a drastic change in ideas or practice). I am not for one minute agreeing with their cause that is not my point, all I want to highlight is their commitment to their struggle.

Now with that settled I want to draw truth into the equation. Bin Laden did not stand for truth as he opposed all that is true; which is the Lord Jesus Christ; “Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) – There may be many topics of discussion that would seem to exclude this truth e.g. the wall is white, while others may say no its true colour is off white, be that as it may, our ability to see colour is because of the Creator, He was the catalyst used by God the Father to create all things and point in case He equipped us with sight and the ability to differentiate between colours. Therefore He is the truth and all of truth hinges on Him. Those who say we have evolved through any other means are liars and therefore do not stand for truth. John Lennon was big on exposing the truth, but his understanding of truth was a lie. Why? Because it was a straw man he presented and not the actual truth. The moral concept of peace is good in itself, but how will that help us in eternity if his revolution does not point us to Christ who is the truth. We get so involved with the concept of that which seems moral and good, yet we must be on guard against anything false.

Resolution, a firm decision to do something is what he stood for, he had resolved to propagate peace and not war and he fought for it with vigour. Yet so many Christians lack his determination.

I publicly announce and I implore other to stand with me from this day forth to make a resolution to stand for truth with the same indignation as these revolutionists. Whenever and wherever a liar is propagated to stand up and declare the truth regardless of the outcome. If someone propagates any other way whereby a man may be saved, we must not to remain silent in order to keep the peace, but to openly oppose them to their faces even if we are despised for it.

Having said this, it will only ever be the goodness of God that will lead a man to repentance. But faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God which is the only truth. This is why the Apostle Paul has this to say; “Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, "That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged." (Romans 3:4) We (born again believers) now have true insight to all that is true and if we do not declare truth with honesty and total commitment where will that leave those who believe so many lies? Hopeless, lost and an eternal death sentence in hell.

Now a balance is needed to this train of thought so that we do not burden ourselves with more failure which in turn will only leave us feeling condemned and it is C.H.Spurgeon who once again helps us to get the correct perspective...
   
“I have found, in my own spiritual life, that the more rules I lay down for myself, the more sins I commit. The habit of regular morning and evening prayer is one which is indispensable to a believer's life, but the prescribing of the length of prayer, and the constrained remembrance of so many persons and subjects, may gender unto bondage, and strangle prayer rather than assist it.

To say I will humble myself at such a time, and rejoice at such another season, is nearly as much an affectation as when the preacher wrote in the margin of his sermon, "Cry here," "Smile here." Why, if the man preached from his heart, he would be sure to cry in the right place, and to smile at a suitable moment; and when the spiritual life is sound, it produces prayer at the right time, and humiliation of soul and sacred joy spring forth spontaneously, apart from rules and vows.

The kind of religion which makes itself to order by the Almanack, and turns out its emotions like bricks from a machine, weeping on Good Friday, and rejoicing two days afterwards, measuring its motions by the moon, is too artificial to be worthy of my imitation.

Self-examination is a very great blessing, but I have known self-examination carried on in a most unbelieving, legal, and self-righteous manner; in fact, I have so carried it on myself. Time was when I used to think a vast deal more of marks, and signs, and evidences, for my own comfort, than I do now, for I find that I cannot be a match for the devil when I begin dealing in these things. I am obliged to go day by day with this cry,—

"I, the chief of sinners am,
But Jesus died for me."

While I can believe the promise of God, because it is His promise, and because He is my God, and while I can trust my Saviour because He is God, and therefore mighty to save, all goes well with me; but I do find, when I begin questioning myself about this and that perplexity, thus taking my eye off Christ, that all the virtue of my life seems oozing out at every pore.

Any practice that detracts from faith is an evil practice, but especially that kind of self-examination which would take us away from the cross-foot, proceeds in a wrong direction.”  (C.H.Spurgeon) – “Taken from Pyromaniacs blog.”

I now make a public declaration that by the grace of God from this day forth I will resolve to always wherever possible stand for truth like never before. To God be the glory from now and forever more, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone


No comments: