The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Although dead he still speaks!


What struggles often need to be confronted, even the mundane issues in life seem to play their part in hindering us achieving our objectives. At least when I penned to paper all I needed was paper and ink. Granted I would find lots of grammatical errors as I read back what had been written. Yet it was a simple way in which to convey ones thoughts. Now with technology at our finger-tips “Microsoft Word” is a great help in that area, especially for someone like me. But when you spend two hours trying to sort out a network connection, like I needed to do this morning and the problem is still not resolved, I wonder which the better system is!

I thought that maybe this morning we would look at a brief biography of a man who lived only with one intention and that was not to waste his life. It amazes me how this man died (fell asleep) at the age of 52 and yet he achieved so much for the Lord...

A MAN WORTHY OF REMEMBRANCE

By

Stanford E. Murrell

A Brief Biography Of Matthew Henry
(1662-1714)

If any receive spiritual benefit by my
poor endeavors, it will be a comfort to me,
but let God have all the glory.

AD 1662 - AD 1680
The Birth of Matthew Henry

Matthew Henry was the second son given by the Lord to Katherine and Philip Henry.  He was born on October 18, 1662 in Broad Oak, in a farmhouse located in Flintshire in Iscoyd township in the county of Salop.  Being born prematurely, there was fear that Matthew Henry would die at birth or soon thereafter. Therefore, he was baptized the day after his birth which happened to be a Sabbath.  Mr. Holland, the Rector of Malpas, administered the holy ordinance to the weak infant. The child's infirmities was just another burden for Matthew's father, Philip Henry, who knew great sorrow as a servant of the Saviour.  He was one of about two thousand ministers who resigned or were ejected from their pulpits by the Church of England for daring to dissent to the conditions set forth in the Act of Uniformity (1662). Matthew’s mother came from a well respected family. Her modest inheritance allowed her husband to continue to live at Broad Oak and minister to the people without pay.

Education
               Though in poor health physically, intellectually and spiritually Matthew was gifted. As a child prodigy he was able to read out loud a chapter of the Bible when he was only three years old. Recognizing their son's unusual mental gifts Philip and Katharine Henry provided a capable teacher in the person of Mr. William Turner. From him Matthew studied Grammar and Latin.  In later years Mr. Turner became the Vicar of Walburton in Sussex and the author of A History of Remarkable Providences. 
A serious soul by nature, Matthew Henry always reflected a maturity beyond his years illustrated by extracts from a letter written in 1671. He was only nine years old at the time when he wrote to his father in London.  "Every day since you went, I have done my lesson, a side of Latin, or Latin verses, and two verses in the Greek Testament.  I hope I have done all well, and so I will continue till you come."  The letter concludes with words reflecting deep spiritual insight. "By this providence we may see that sin is the worst of evils, for sickness came with sin. Christ is the chief good; therefore, let us love Him.  Sin is the worst of evils, therefore, let us hate that with a perfect hatred."

Childhood Sickness
Matthew Henry was born into a world where children died at an early age.  His own brother John did not survive infancy.  When he was ten years old, Matthew suffered the ravages of a lingering fever. Once more it seemed that he was going to die. Once more the Lord had mercy and his life was spared.

The Saving Of His Soul
As the Lord saved Matthew Henry from an early death, He also saved him from an eternal damnation. The glorious day when he was translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God's dear Son may be discerned from a document dated October 18, 1675.  On his thirteenth birth day Matthew Henry wrote down A Catalogue Of Mercies  detailing the progress of religion in his soul. There is a section in the manuscript dealing with conversion.

A Catalogue Of Mercies
 I think it was three years ago that I began to be convinced, hearing a sermon by my father on Psalm 51:17.  'The sacrifices of God are of a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou will not despise.'  It think it was that that melted me; afterwards I began to inquire after Christ.
December 7, 1673.  on a Sabbath-day morning, I heard a sermon that had in it the marks of true grace. I tried myself by them, and told my father my evidences; he liked them and said, if those evidences were true, (as I think they were) I had true grace. Yet, after this, for two or three days, I was under great fear of hell, till the Lord comforted me. I having been engaged in serious examination--What hope I have that when I die, and leave this earthly tabernacle, I shall be received into heaven--I have found several marks that I am a child of God. His ministers say:
               1.  There is true conversion where there have been covenant transactions between God and the soul. And I found that there have been such between God and my soul, and I hope in truth and righteousness. If I never did this before, I do it now; for I take God in Christ to be mine. I give up myself to be his in the bond of an everlasting covenant never-to-be-forgotten. But hath it been in truth? As far as I know my own heart, I do it in truth and sincerity. I did it December 7, and September 5, and October 13, and many other times. I do it every day.
               2.  Where there hath been true repentance for sin, and grief, and shame, and sorrow, for it, as to what is past, with all the ingredients of it, as confession, aggravation, self-judging, self condemning, &c.

What fascinates me is that this man, obviously under the grace of God, yet with great care and commitment was able to give us a detailed commentary of the entire Bible. And I share C.H. Spurgeon’s idea that this commentary should be the first book in a Christian’s library after the Bible if we are serious with our commitment to Christ.

Just like C.H.Spurgeon here is a man although dead he still speaks. I thank God for bringing me across this man’s path, even if not in person.

Signing off

Tyrone








No comments: