🔥 Read My Story

Wednesday, 26 August 2026

ARE WE LOOKING FOR JESUS IN THE WRONG PLACES?

 

Part 15 — The Cross

"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree." 1 Peter 2:24

Christian has now come to the place Bunyan has been preparing him for. He has been through the Interpreter's House and has been shown lesson after lesson about sin, grace, temptation and judgment. Yet through all of this, the burden is still upon his back.

Then he sees the Cross.

Bunyan tells us that as Christian looked upon the Cross, his burden loosened from his shoulders, fell from his back, rolled down the hill and disappeared into a sepulchre. Christian then says, "Blessed Cross! Blessed Sepulchre! Blessed rather be the Man that there was put to shame for me!"

I think Bunyan is being very deliberate here. Christian does not simply draw our attention to the Cross or the sepulchre. He draws our attention to the Man who was put to shame for him. That Man is the Lord Jesus Christ. The Cross cannot be separated from Christ, because it is Christ who bore the sinner's guilt and suffered in the sinner's place.

This also makes me think about how easily we can become caught up in the symbols of Christianity rather than the Person to whom those symbols point. A cross can be worn around the neck, a crucifix can become the focus of attention, and religious practices can become familiar, but none of these things is Jesus Christ. We can become so accustomed to the symbol that we lose sight of the Person.

I can say this because I have seen something of it in my own life. When I was in Mykonos, Greece, I bought a silver cross. Looking back, I realise I was unconsciously attaching a spiritual meaning to it. Somehow, I believed that buying the cross might help me become more religious. It was my way of acknowledging Jesus.

Another occasion made this even clearer. One day, while I was looking for fish with a speargun and snorkel, a fisherman's boat dropped me about two kilometres from the shore. As I swam, I came across a very deep channel. I couldn't see the bottom, and it was so deep that I remember thinking sharks may use this route. Almost instinctively, my hand went to the silver cross around my neck, as though it somehow had the power to keep me safe.

Looking back, that moment says something to me. I was reaching for an object because of what I believed it represented, but the silver itself had no power to protect me. It could not hear me, protect me or save me. If I was going to look to Christ, I needed to look beyond the object to the One the cross represents: the Lord Jesus Christ.

That is why Bunyan's wording matters. Christian does not stop at the Cross. He says, "Blessed rather be the Man that there was put to shame for me!" Bunyan turns our eyes from the symbol to the Person. The Cross points us to Christ, but Christ Himself saves.

Christian has carried this burden from the beginning of his journey. He knew it was there and that he needed to be rid of it, but he could not remove it himself. All the instruction he received could show him his condition, but none of it could take the burden from his back.

Now he comes to the Cross, and the burden falls away.

Peter tells us that Christ "bore our sins in his body on the tree."

(1 Peter 2:24).

Bunyan gives us a picture of that truth through Christian's experience. What Christian could never accomplish for himself has been accomplished by the Lord Jesus Christ.

And yet Christian has reached the Cross without understanding everything. He has learned much in the Interpreter's House, but he still has much to learn and a long pilgrimage ahead of him. Coming to the Cross does not mean that Christian suddenly understands everything about the Christian life.

I think we sometimes forget this. We do not understand everything at the beginning of our journey, nor do we understand everything when we come to the Cross. Christian certainly does not. Yet that does not prevent him from coming to Christ. He comes as a man who knows he is burdened and cannot save himself. But come we must…

Looking back on my life, I recognise something of this. There were changes in me before I understood why they were happening. Things that once seemed perfectly normal began to lose their appeal, and things that had once been easy to pursue became strangely difficult. At the time, I could not explain what was happening. I only knew that something was changing.

Only afterwards could I look back and begin to see that God had been dealing with me before I understood what He was doing. I know that God showed me a patience I did not deserve, and I continue to see that patience in my life.

Bunyan then introduces the three Shining Ones. One tells Christian that his sins are forgiven; another clothes him in a new suit of raiment; and the third marks his forehead and gives him a sealed roll.

Something has changed in Christian. His burden has been lifted, his sins have been forgiven, and he has been clothed. Bunyan’s warnings were not meant to leave Christian without hope. They were preparing him to understand the seriousness of his condition and why he needs the Lord Jesus Christ.

I can understand something of this from my own experience. I had already responded to an altar call, yet I was still carrying a burden. I remember wrestling with Scripture and asking myself, “What have I done?” There had been much back-and-forth with family and friends, but eventually I found myself alone, with my Bible open before me. I remember praying something like, “Father, I am not sure what I am doing, but I believe Jesus died for my sins, and you have forgiven me.”

And immediately the burden was lifted. I remember feeling as light as a feather in a gentle breeze. I had not suddenly understood everything. I had simply come to believe what Scripture told me about the Lord Jesus Christ and what He had done for me.

The seriousness of sin does not diminish the greatness of God's grace, nor does the abundance of God's grace make sin any less serious. At the Cross, we see both together, because Christ bore our sins and was put to shame for us.

There is a crucial fundamental that we must recognise: the seriousness of our sin when we stand at the foot of the Cross. Miss this, and we miss the magnitude of Christ's sacrifice.

Paul writes, "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

Yet Christian still has a long road ahead of him. The Cross has removed his burden, but it has not removed the pilgrimage. There will still be temptation, suffering, false teaching and spiritual conflict. The Parable of the Sower comes to mind because Jesus shows us that hearing the Word is not the end of the matter. Some receive it with joy, but when tribulation or persecution arises because of the Word, they stumble.

Christian has reached the Cross, but he still has to continue. The burden has been lifted, his sins have been forgiven, and he has been clothed, yet the pilgrimage is only beginning. There will still be temptation, suffering, false teaching and spiritual conflict. The Parable of the Sower comes to mind because Jesus shows us that hearing the Word is not the end of the matter. Some receive it with joy, but when tribulation or persecution arises because of the Word, they stumble.

Christian still has much to learn, but he now knows where his hope rests. It does not rest in a symbol, in his own goodness or in his ability to save himself. His hope rests in Christ.

And the journey continues.

Signing off

Tyrone

Scripture References: John 3:14-16; Matthew 13:20-21; Romans 5:6-8; 1 Peter 2:24; Colossians 2:13-14; Galatians 6:14.

 

No comments: