The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 26 November 2022

Walking in the Spirit

 

Walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh, what does that really mean?

This is a question which troubled me for many years and I could never really get my head around it. We are instructed to behave in a certain many but it was hard to tell the difference between walking in the flesh (own effort) as opposed to walking in the Spirit. In my early Christian walk no one could give me a straight answer, I really was trouble by the difference. The Word (Bible) is clear on us having to do “stuff” in fact Paul actually articulates his efforts but make a point of teaching us correctly, so that pride remains at bay; But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1Corinthians 15:10)  

 

It’s clear to see a tension in somebodies life after they are saved, them working at something, they are the ones doing it but there is a hidden miracle at work, the grace of God. This truth can be totally overlook if not understood. My own efforts as oppose to God giving me the strength to achieve a result. This topic should be on the top of every teachers list when it comes to foundational biblical teachings for new believers. Even though I had to bump my head so many times as a young Christian because of this unanswered question allowing my flesh to run riot at times I thank God that He has always been in my corner. In spite of my wayward behavior I have finally now understood the answer to this question.

This is probably the most important aspect of a believer’s life to have knuckled down. Traps have been set to get us to walk in the flesh (anything that causes us to revert to our default natures).

However, we can learn to walk in the Spirit on a daily basis when we listen to the voice of our Lord. Here is part of the process: I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.(Romans 12:1-2) 

The world’s way is full of death, even though it screams life. Deception of the highest order and just a friendly reminder that the way people are lead astray is through deception; And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. (Revelation 19:20) – Deception is when someone believes something to be true when in fact it is a lie. It is an extremely power tool that the devil uses to get people to come his way.

 Let look at Paul’s instruction;But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. (Galatiansl 5:16) – This is a statement and it is concise with a matter of fact tone. – If we are walking in the Spirit we will not fall in the flesh. That leaves me with a deduction that I cannot skirt, when I sin, I am walking in the flesh! This is a very interesting reality. How do I then remain in the Spirit to avoid hankering after my carnal desires? Brother John Piper has help me with this and some reformed theologians like to use Acronyms and here is his - “APTAT”

·        A = AMITT YOU CAN DO NOTHING

·        P = PRAY FOR SUPERNATURAL HELP

·        T = TRUST A SPECIFIC PROMISE ABOUT YOUR SITUATION

·        A= ACT, USE YOUR WILL, MOVE

·        T =THANK GOD

 It’s all about praying for help and then expecting God to help, this is faith. If we learn to program or as the text puts it, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. We need the grace of God in our lives, we must initiate “Aptat” to achieve it. This means our own efforts outside of the grace of God no longer apply and we will be quick to thank God for his help. Do it the other way around and we will then have the potential to boast in our own efforts.

 This is what Packer had to say about the same topic…

1.    Observe what can be done

2.   Pray for help

3.   Go to work and expect it to happen

4.   Thank God for the help

 Here is a link from that particular podcast

https://open.spotify.com/episode/70Zg4KSDVCxn0ma8ug10h5?si=42211fda0b7e433e

 

Signing off

 Tyrone

No comments: