The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Wednesday 18 May 2016

Make your calling and election sure

(2Peter 1:10)  “Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.”

A patent originates with an idea that someone somewhere comes up with and if it has any market value investors back the idea hoping to make a profit on their investment. Once that idea comes to fruition and the public embraces it then it begins to become an item that is desired. The “pirates” soon latch onto the same idea and fabricate a look alike at a fraction of the cost. It looks like the real deal but anyone accomplished will soon be able to tell the difference.

Christianity has been tarred with the same brush in many circles. A false gospel is rife in our society today, and it has been gaining momentum for some time now. Pirate Christianity ensnares those looking for gain in this life. The money preacher traps the novice with the idea that wealth and prosperity will follow the new convert and many are drawn by these lies. True Christianity is about forgiveness of our sins and a turn about in the way we once behaved; the knowledge of sins forgiven, “mercy on display” and a turning from it towards holiness; “Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14)

The “Pirate Gospel” leads a person to believe that sin is not an issue in a believer’s life. That is a lie! The message of forgiveness must be encapsulated with repentance and a turning from our sin and not towards a message that God is gracious and he understands my weakness and therefore He will tolerate my sin, GOD HATES SIN! So much so that He turn his own back on His Son when He paid the penalty of mankind’s sin causing the Lord Jesus to cry out, “my God why have you forsaken me.” The false preacher multiplies these types of messages on the back of a wealth and prosperity despatch, which enslaves the simple.

“But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.” (2Timothy 3:1-7)              

There are many other warnings in scripture, the book of Revelation warns the church at Laodicea of their state before God, which in a way is tied to prosperity; "And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. "'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.” (Revelation 3:14-20)

Wherever we find ourselves within in our walks with the Lord we must be willing to accept the mistakes we have made or the presumptions we once held dear if and when the Word of God corrects us. God only disciplines the ones He loves! I am so grateful for that, I cannot express the depths of my gratitude, to know that I have a Father, the ruler of the universe who is willing to take time out of his day and correct me, wow! When I understand that my immediate reaction will be to be bold and I will repent because I will want to please my heavenly Father. Sin is what kept me from a relationship with God but now that I have been washed by the blood of the Lamb, sin will no longer have any dominion over me. I will not be ruled by it like I once was, praise God for His mercy!

However if and when I continue to knowing live in sin and discipline eludes me, then I am a bastard and not a son; “It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.” (Hebrews 12:7-8)  

I may claim to be a Christian but I have been hoodwinked into believing a lie. I have been trapped by a false gospel, no differently to that fabricated pirate item and I need salvation. If in doubt fall to your knees, cry out unto Jesus and ask Him to open your eyes and then turn from your sin and it will be well with your soul. Peace will be your companion, but if you have been truly saved and you continue in sin believing that grace will abound, restlessness will accompany your throughout the day.

There must come a time in a believer’s life where it will become evident to the world that they are not of this world. Without that evidence as our reality we may talk and dress like Christians but in fact be nothing more than a knock-off. The devil has infiltrated so many into believing his lies, let us not be amongst that number.

The “prodigal son” was a son indeed and he was loved by his father, but until he learnt his lesson and turn from the error of his way he was left to wallow with the pigs. Some of us need extreme discipline in our lives to be taught very valuable lessons, thank God for that. Whilst others may feel that they are balance in their conduct and yet they are just as blind as the prodigal once was.

The Lord Jesus made it very clear to his disciples and the bystanders that followed and this was the lesson; "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit.” (Matthew 12:33) – Its no use claiming to be a Christian if the fruit to your life depicts another story altogether. Rebuke from God is often what is needed to get us back on track. Do not resist discipline but rather welcome it for God is for His children and not against them. God please open our eyes to see the error of our ways wherever we may have deviated from your instruction. I am persuaded that all of His children will be brought to a place of repentance.

Signing off

Tyrone     
    

      


No comments: