The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Teach me your ways O God!

(Psalms 25:5)  “Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation…”

My son asked me “what does it mean to lay your life down for the Lord?” He is at the age where his whole life lies before him. Questions like studying and career is obviously in the forefront of his mind and he wants to make the right choice. I confess this was a question I struggled with for many years but as time has progressed and years have begun to tick away, this is now a lot clearer. It is in fact not a difficult question to answer. Simply put, we must put Him first in every area of our lives! Money, food and shelter must be a spinoff of our commitment to Him and not the other way round. Nothing in our lives should be given pre-eminence over our dedication to Him. Our natural minds like to find justification to put the Lord on the back banner, we use education and work commitments to justify our actions but they are no more than trappings from the evil one! This world is full of what we like to deem as justifiable actions. Even our family commitments must revolve around His will for our lives!

We no longer have rights as it were, we have been bought at a great price! “For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” (1Corinthians 6:20) – When we use terminology like, “God will understand”, we have been deceived! Faith demands our sole dependency upon the finished work of the cross. This is the lesson David teaches us in his psalm. Anything outside of “God first” is destructive and will only ever leave us unsatisfied and stagnant in our spiritual growth. Many questions will probe away at our minds, looking to justify our independence, do not give them any place but rather let us learn to trust our God for our daily needs; He knows what we need, far better than we ever could!

In principle we must act like the disciples and not like the rich young ruler. Simon Bar-Jonah was a fisherman and busy casting nets into the sea, for he was a fisherman. Jesus called out to him; “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." The recorded response is the lesson; Immediately they left their nets and followed him.” (Matthew 4:20) – If anything in our lives forces us to take supremacy over God’s call for our lives we are in danger of this as we look to hang onto the trappings of life. “And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."(Mark 10:21) – For this man money was his life, for others it may be something else, but, we are to understand David’s encouragement in this psalm, if we have learnt anything, we must understand that God must take pre-eminence in every area of our lives. Have I arrived? Most certainly not, but I can say with assurance that I have resolve by the grace of God to learn to put my trust in him even more as I see the day of His soon return inching closer.

Let us lock hands as we encourage each other to trust our great Saviour as we learn to shed our own independence like a snake sheds its skin. More of Jesus and less of my selfish wants is my cry, receive my cry my great God and Father. Please help me lose my selfish character. I also pray for all who confess Jesus as Lord of their lives, make this truth clear to us all. Glorify your name for you alone are worthy of all praise, Amen and Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone

     

No comments: