The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Monday 29 December 2014

Preparing our minds for action

Prayer powerfully working in conjunction with faith is appreciated by all but not witnessed by many.

There is so much I have seemed to have missed along my Christian pilgrimage because of the distractions life has thrown at me, or rather the stupidity of engaging in those diversions. The regrets of life can haunt us but the sooner we move past them the better; who doesn’t have some regrets? There are many things in hindsight that we could have done differently; I know this to be true for my life! How do I take something that has looked to destroy me along my journey and turn it into something positive? These are the type of questions we should be asking ourselves as another year closes in. The Apostle Peter teaches us these truths; Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile.” (1Peter 1:13-17) – When I read these verses I realise how I have failed dismally in so many areas of my life. Now what? Well, by the grace of God we no longer wallow in the mire, we dust the dirt from our knees, we disinfect the grazes and we press on in faith looking to Jesus the author and the finisher of our faith to restore that which once burn bright and clear. Regardless of your standing in Christ, there is room for all of us to be less selfish as we lay down our lives for one another.

Are you committed as you once were? There must have been a time in your life after salvation that it was obvious to all that something had happen, the patterns of your behaviour different to what it was once prior to salvation. We must diligently wrestle with our God in humility, but with a confident resolve to right our wrongs. We must beseech our God to put straight that which has been made crooked through the throes of life. For it will be worth it all, we will eventually receive our reward, eternity in the presents of our God and King. We have understood the hope we have in our Saviour and our lives must begin to mirror Him more today than it did yesterday.

There will be an obvious distinction separating the goats from the sheep and it will be the trial of our faith that will make this evident. The wannabe Christian will be exposed as the pressures of life begin to increase and it will surge from hereon in. We are now living in exciting times, even creation is beginning to groan a little louder, have you notice? Tolerance for Christianity even in democratic governments begins to wane; it is no longer fashionable to be rigid about our belief in one God; tolerance for other religions is high on the agenda of many governments. Gone are the days where a person can stand up proclaiming this truth in government schools; “Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”(John 14:6) – As Christians we must remain dogmatic on this truth, even if it costs us our lives; in so doing our hope will be obviously noticed by all and peradventure God may save some through our example.

Forgive me for using this example again but I can think of no better experience to illustrate a point; I recall my “JL” training at Infantry School, how the corporals pushed us and just when you thought it was over they pushed some more, our bodies taken to a level of enervation, but somehow our minds carried us threw. It was hard to understand at the time, but in retrospection I am thankful for my military experience it taught me many valuable lessons. It was a preparation for what was to come. Christianity is no different in principle, we may not understand the trail of life at the time, but it is for our benefit and before long we will give praise to our God on what were the most trying times of our life. This is the testimony of the saints who have gone before. The key to remaining focused is our HOPE! What kept me going in the infantry school? I knew if I got through what they threw at me I would eventually qualify as a platoon sergeant. I had a hope! The difference now is we no longer have to rely on our own abilities; it is the grace of God that will get us home! Nevertheless it is our HOPE which will keep us focused! Our Saviour has overcome this world we need now only rest in His victory, praise His name now and forever more, Amen and Amen!

As we move into the New Year lets us find focus in these three words; faith, hope and love. Faith in our God and not our own independence; Hope in the promise for the faithful, heaven and all it splendour, with love driving everything we do as we lay down our lives for one another.

Signing off

Tyrone   

       







No comments: