The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Fear Not!

What is fear? Fear is something we have all experienced, it is a God given emotion that instinctively helps to keep one from danger. It is not a feeling easily fabricated. In hindsight if we look back on our lives there should be some vivid memories of fear somewhere along life’s journey. I recall being a young boy of about ten years old when I ventured into a storm water drain and crawled from the one side of the road to the other, the space was so confined that I almost froze believing that I would not get out on the other side. The sudden surge of fear was frightening, “what if I got stuck in here, would I die”? I could not turn around, and yet I can still intensely remember the panic, ultimately it was fear that drove me to keep my eyes fixed on the sunlight that was visible on the other side of the other manhole. It seemed a bridge too far, had I bitten off more than I could chew? Instinctively I began to worm my way to the other side through the tight fit of the concrete pipes, there was no other choice! When I eventually arrived there was such relief! That incident still has a bearing on my life today, I am still claustrophobic! And I have never been near another drain pipe!

My consideration this morning is simply this… Should fear play a role in a believer’s life?

There is much to deliberate on the subject, but once we strip it all down, in my opinion the short answer would have to be certainly not the way most understand the meaning of fear! God said to Abraham, “Fear Not!” Why was he given this instruction? Because God was with him, and He was looking out for Abraham! Although he faced many dangers along his journey!

I must be careful not to only explore one side of the deliberation; we can obviously be foolish in our decisions, just as I was so many years ago, we can thoughtlessly create our own fear; or rather get ourselves into a predicament that will help engage the emotion of fear. But the reality of eminent fear when we walk in obedience to the call that God has placed on the believers life is what I am interested in. The answer to my original question must be an emphatic “No”. We should never allow fear to govern!

David a prime example of how we as Christians ort to conduct ourselves in this area of our lives; remember Goliath! A giant warrior that all of Israel feared, even king Saul was no match for him! “And the Philistine said, "I defy the ranks of Israel this day. Give me a man, that we may fight together." When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid.” (1Samuel 17:10-11) – Fear with all the emotion attached to it was rife throughout Israel!  However, this then was David’s response to Goliath the giant; “And David said to the men who stood by him, "What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" (1Samuel 17:26)  - There was absolutely no fear in David’s estimation about this enemy of God; size, weight, weapons nor all his scalps had any bearing on David’s reasoning. Although all of Israel was emotionally charged with fear, David was not! Faith will alleviate fear! Call it a vaccination if you will, just the right amount of faith applied to any given situation and fear will be neutralised. This is what I seek, faith toward my God! Help me actualise this realisation like never before I pray in earnest and with anticipation! Lord Jesus be merciful I pray!

Faith most certainly will drive away all fears that oppose the will of God! “The Law” taught those who opposed it to fear God. We needn’t look far to prove this as we page through the Old Testament. But Love casts out all fear!There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us.” (1John 4:18-19)

Did those Christians of old fear? Not the ones who walked in obedience, in fact some even were sawn in half!They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated-- of whom the world was not worthy--wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.” (Hebrews 11:37-38)   

This is what the Apostle Peter has to say;Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.” (1Peter 2:16-17)   

My conclusion then… when we walk in obedience to the will of God in our lives, we have absolutely no reason to fear; however when we are in need of discipline, when we ignore the call of God in our lives, we will most certainly be privy to fear, if not, best we check our birth certificates. But as for the enemies of the cross we needn’t fear, the Lord Jesus Christ has conquered all, even the last of enemies, death, was no match for Him! God raised Him from the dead and He is now seated at the right hand of the Father in Heavenly making intersection for those who believe. Praise His name!

Signing off

Tyrone




No comments: