The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 2 July 2013

God's Armour continued... The Gospel of Peace

(Ephesians 6:15) “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace”

To have ones feet protected in battle was imperative and the cladding used was always suited to the terrain. Imagine the types of snares the enemy would lay, gall traps and the like, sharp sticks hidden in camouflage waiting to impale the victim they were intended for! But if the marching enemy had their feet cladded correctly the entrapments would have little effect and therefore be of very little concern. How then are we to have our “feet shod for the preparation of the gospel”?

There can be no greater teacher than God the Holy Ghost; but I surmise it is life itself with our own journeys and God’s Word as our guideline that teaches us so many lessons, as we so often blunder with this precious gift God has given us, the Lord Jesus Christ; I have often worn the wrong foot attire to battle. How do I and so many others make this mistake? We get caught up with the cares of life, which in turn forces us to remain silent. This is not the instruction the Apostle Paul gives us in this portion of scripture.

“The preparation of the gospel of peace” implies a prepared and resolved frame of mind, a condition of our hearts that adheres to the gospel and abides by it, which will enable us to walk with a steady pace in the way of Christianity, regardless of the dangers alone the way. This however has not been the consistent banner that I can confidently claim my life has flown. With that as the truth does this now mean I now throw in the towel and cry, “woe is me”!  On the contrary, it is the grace of God that has reminded me of the error of my ways; Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?” (Romans 2:4) 

Even through my own folly, if God in His goodness still chooses to show me the error of my ways, I shall be obliged to fall on my knees as I cry out unto Him with immense gratitude for once again having the opportunity to call out on the name of the Lord seeking out His forgiveness driving me to seek out His grace as He leads me into repentance wherever needed. Without repentance coupled with obedience we will always be found wanting regarding the footwear we wear! This will then cripple us as we encounter the snares of life leaving us mute. Silenced by the snares of life!

The Apostle Paul has this to teach; “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” (1Corinthians 9:27)

How many of us have had trouble with authority throughout life’s journey? It is deep rooted by that which taints; sin with all its power and yet God has freed us from sin through the sacrifice of His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ! This tragically is often forgotten as we take our eyes of the ball, BUT God who is rich in mercy reminds us of our error, praise His glorious name!

How many have been disqualified? I have often stumbled and been rightly accused of being a hypocrite. Nevertheless if we truly repent God then mercifully allows us once again to fly His banner in our lives. If we are then sensitive to His leading we will once again find His strength in our lives to clad our feet with the right cladding for the right terrain as peace once again floods our soul and we find our lips beginning to loosen as we point those who are lost in the way, the truth and the life; which is styled “the gospel of peace because it brings all sorts of peace, peace with God, with ourselves, and with one another”. Leading all in the way of repentance, leaving our feet shod as we live our lives constantly repenting which others will also observe causing them to ask questions and with our feet now shod with the gospel of peace we will not be easily provoked as we gently share the hope that is in us with others nor shall we be prone to constant quarrelling…

With this in mind our feet will be protected just as they were back then from the gall traps being no match for those soldiers who wore brass cladding on their feet.

Signing off


Tyrone

No comments: