The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 2 June 2011

Half-full or Half-empty?


(James 2:17) “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”

Another day like the day before, instead of the glass “half-full” I find myself erring on “half-empty”. I have so many thoughts travelling through my mind that it is hard to hold onto one. This morning as I sit near the fire, as it now rages, finally the wood although initially a little wet is now serving its purpose, it is fuelling the fire! I have come to love this time of day, the sun far from appearing and the still of the night as silent as a thieving mouse. There is a beauty in this stillness, and not all understand what I am learning love; initially getting up early in the mornings with the intention of finding some sort of discipline to my life with these blogs was tough. But now I am thankful on so many fronts. We are now well into the winter months and even the birds are silent! I sit at my desk and just relish my time in front of this keyboard with my great God and Saviour. These are sobering moments.

Why is it that we have to learn lessons that are painful? I know the answer, but at times I wish it wasn’t so! Sin, has robbed me of so much through life and even with the glorious Word of God, the Bible and all it teaches, lesson are learnt only when we are hard pressed, when our bodies and emotions take strain. It is failure that brings us to our knees, but how terrible is it when we fail. It is through these experiences that we learn, or should learn, to become more dependent upon our Lord and Saviour and the finished work of the cross.

I am rather fascinated but somewhat discussed at times how I seem to forget what I have learnt. Let me use an illustration to exemplify; for awhile now I have suffered from reflux and live on medication to help combat its advances. But there are a few tricks that help; avoid white bread, lots of sweets and a few other things. Although I am aware of this, I seem to forget the effect this can have on me when the acid is at bay. This should never happen as I am aware of its downside but it does, take last night for example; I overindulged with sweets and chocolates and then I feel asleep, but not long into my rest I woke up choking, yes this is a common occurrence, however what I eat does effect the severity of my reflux and yet I sometimes ignore what I have already learnt, go figure!

Now it does not stop there although it should, there are many areas of my life where I seem to stumble in application. When the Apostle James was bold to point this out to his fellow brethren; I confess it was with me in mind: - “Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.” (James 1:13-16)
“If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.” (James 2:8-11)
He then hammers home the point; “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” (James 2:26) – So then it is not enough to talk the walk we need to learn to walk the walk; “but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.” (James 3:8-10) – He challenges us to examine our own faith and to test it; What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” (James 2:14-18)

This type of application has to become part of our lives; we must at least in principle resolve to find it by the grace of God. However like any good teacher he does leave us without some clear instruction to follow; “Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” (James 5:13-16) 


Signing off

Tyrone
 
 
 
   

No comments: