The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 4 June 2020

Discipline!

(1Corinthians 11:32) “But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.” 

 

The Christian is truly blessed beyond measure. This verse needs to be unpacked and understood correctly, it is such an amazing reality it should never be overlooked, but sadly I think it is.

 

Firstly we need to understand the context of the chapter, which addresses possibly the most important of all our meeting, well at least the one that is dearest to my heart, the “breaking of bread” or “communion”. A meeting centred around the Lord Jesus Christ and His accomplishments on Calvary. A time and a place where it all began for the Christian and without HIS perfect work the Christians faith would be irrelevant. A time when He was judged for the sins of others, crucified and punished as a guilty man when in fact he was innocent. A time when he bore the brunt of His Fathers wrath, the burden intended for all of mankind. I hope we understand the significance of the meet. A time when believes gathering in remembrance of what Christ achieved for us, Wow! “Lest I forget gethsemane”. Praise the name of Jesus. A time in a believer’s life where we can remember and be judged. A time of reflection, a stint to examine our lives and the example we are setting as believers. Not collectively but rather as individuals. An ephod of self-reflection in the mirror of Christ. To be open faced about ourselves with the Lord and above all things to praise and remember the Lord by verbally thanking Him for willingly embracing our punishment. It’s an accomplishment that seems too good to be true, however it is true indeed, wow! This reality must resonant deep within the recesses of our hearts and be locked and immovable, in spite of the trial of life. “Jesus in my place” rings true, as tears role down my cheeks with jubilation. Jesus judged on behalf of my sin; past, present and future sins all covered by the blood of the Lamb. Does this really vibrate throughout the core of our being the way it should? In most cases I think not. If that isn’t enough, let’s go deeper. When we take communion, which signifies that we are believers and if we engage in our beloveds sacrifice glibly we are then judged by the Lord. He intervenes and disciplines us accordingly. Mercy and grace never ending, thank you Father God. I pray you see the depths of God’s love in the discipline, because without it we would be condemned with all the unbelievers in the world. Their judgment is coming and the Lake of Fire awaits.

 

I recall many years ago, claiming to understand the merits we have as Christians but living a life like I did before I was saved, old habits resurfaced, a time when I allowed my cravings to have free reign but was not willing to relinquish what Christ achieved on my behalf. A life of practised hypocrisy, there is a difference between succumbing to sin and living in it. It is one thing to be taken by sin because of our weakness but something altogether when we ignore it and wilfully live in it, excusing ourselves whilst living under the Christian banner.

 

I can vividly recall standing up and publicly declaring that if I was out of line I wanted the Lord to thrash me. And guess what, He did! I will be forever grateful to my God for his mercy. Sure, for now I live with a virus that dictates, HIV is part of my life. On reflection if given the choice I wouldn’t want it any other way; “But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.” The flip side of this is if we live a life of gross disobedience and we are without God’s intervention in our live, in other words Gods discipline is not part of our lives, then we need to check our birth certificate, they may just be fake. The book of Hebrews make my point very clear; “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives. It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons." (Hebrews 12:6-8) 

 

The beauty of the grace of God is this, whilst we have breath we have hope, if in doubt find a secluded spot and bear you heart to God, repent and seek His intervention in your lives.   

 

It’s often our own selfish wants that need to be destroy so that we may find deliverance and the sooner we let go and let God the happier we will be. I will boast in the finished work of Calvary, bless your name now and forever more my precious beloved Saviour, thank you.

 

“Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: 
let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified.  But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.” 
(Psalms 40:16-17)

 

Signing off

 

Tyrone


No comments: