The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Sunday 20 March 2016

Separating the wheat from the chaff

After my post on “Remembering the poor” and the conditional snub I received, it once again drew my attention to our inherent nature that will look to excuse ourselves from applying God’s word to any opportunity we have in relation to helping our brothers in need. We instinctively tend to help those of our families, because “blood is thicker than water” but what of our needful brothers and sisters in Christ? We can be quick to cast aspersions on the lazy but not so swift to put our hands into our pocket especially if that means we will go without. In my opinion this is an intriguing consideration. So many will look for reasons of why not to help instead of suffering want, so I ask myself the question, why and at what cost?

There are so many thoughts bouncing around in my mind, but it would be a good exercise in separating the wheat from the chaff. Again I stress, it is the Word of God that always holds the key to any dilemma and if we are to end up on the right side of God’s instruction we must search the scripture if we are to resolve any given scenario. Be still; listen for the voice of God and the clutter will dissolve.

It only takes the smallest of errors in so many differing areas of our lives, for us to loose our way; with that in mind, what is our respected roles within this question; the aiding of our Christian families in need? The Apostle John has a steady instruction that we should all take sympathetic note of; “But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? (1John 3:17)

I am cautious in my pondering as I need to examine my own heart in this matter, I must arrive at a conclusion as I ask myself, am I now looking to excuse myself of my responsibility in the hardships I now face concerning my work scenario and diminishing lack of income; combatting so many different opinions from within and without on the reasons for my current predicament. Am I doing as much as I could or am I waiting for help? One thing is for certain, the hardship I now face in this chapter of my life which seems to be never ending is part of God’s brilliance, even if disillusionment is my companion. I suppose that God alone would be able to really see where my heart lies on the matter. However when I remove myself from the equation, the Word of God stands firm and the instruction is clear, we are to look for reasons on how to help the household of God and not the other way around. This is the heart of a true disciple and our beloved brother James has this to say; “For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder!” (James 2:13-19)

It is one thing to be slothful refusing to work when the opportunity presents itself but quite another thing altogether when work is scares. This thought now brings me to a bothers judgment which God has blessed and obviously multiplied his ministry. My post a few days back from Charles Spurgeon summed it up beautifully, we are surrounded by those individuals (those who suffer want) to have our own hearts exposed, are we animated or passive with our application to those in need? I am convinced this is where the rubber hits the road and it’s a true reflection of where we actually stand as believers. A very sobering thought but extremely needful for our growth in the good graces of our Lord.

God is sovereign and each and every one of us without exception is exactly where we need to be as believers. True lessons of our growth as Christians will always come at a cost, the denial of self. The greatest example of this is the life of our blessed Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ, with many other great examples both recorded and unrecorded that have followed suite. Will we be amongst that number? Time will eventually reveal all! Lets us remember to separate the chaff (the opinionated expressions of this world) which contradicts scripture. God help us to grasp these realities with our whole being and to bring Him glory with our obedience to that heavenly call.

Signing off

Tyrone       
    



     

No comments: