The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 4 February 2016

A vital lesson

This morning I woke up with a very clear understanding of what I needed to explore on a doctrinal level. Throughout the night I wrestled with differing thoughts on how sin, grace, repentance and temptation play out on a practical level in a believer’s life, with all in question simultaneously tag teaming in the ring of my cognizance, with my mind floating from the one to the other and then a sudden calm. My restlessness a thing of the past with clarity now shrouding my understanding to a long life question I was unable to nail down with accuracy.  With a clear direction in my head it’s now up to sound doctrine to drive the reality home and hopefully change the way I perceive this very important focus and in turn help others with similar struggles.

I am wonderfully amazed how my great God brings light into the areas of mottled darkness. A garbled thought to begin with and then it’s as if the light switch is flipped in a dark room with the equation solved without the help of any doctorate. How I love moments like these, where God in His goodness helps me understand a particular concern I am tussling with; the wonders of God’s brilliance who can fathom it…   

From an early age we are called upon to fight and battle along our journeys in order to be noticed by our peers. Competition is fierce and only the top students and sports-persons ever really get recognized. Pride is instilled in us all from a very young age and it is up to the individual to put in the effort to be rewarded, it is as simple as that! With almost all concluding that hard work produces results. “You get out of life what you put into it”; worldly wisdom drives this truth home; it’s all about me, me and more of me. But the grace of God is all about unmerited favour. Two opposite extremes!

So up until we are born again and able to see God for whom He is through the eyes of faith and repentance from dead works we remain locked into the mentality of a temperament of self-preservation. And even after salvation many of us, in fact I would dare to suggest that the majority of Christians find it near impossible to relinquish in absolute surrender their struggles with pride, which is an enemy of the cross. I surmise that is why both the Apostle James and Peter had this to say about pride; "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." What I am about to unpack will be recklessness to some but it may just be life changing for others.

Firstly, let the Word guide us as we look to establish a few truths…

We must learn to separate our human rationale from our now God given Spirit which we received at our spiritual conversion; the day we were born again an awareness  to comprehended spiritual things had now became a part of our persona; whereas prior to salvation we were blind towards spiritual matters. No matter how hard we looked into divine truths we always arrived at a skewed conclusion with “self” always influencing the outcome of the equation. It’s who we are outside of the Lord Jesus Christ, blind to the bigger picture. There is no wiggle room for any ifs and buts, these are the facts! – Without God removing the scale from our eyes, although we have a perception of sight we are in fact blind. The Lord Jesus gives us this insight – “Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."” (John 3:3) - Our souls must be fashioned and enlivened anew. We must be born from above in order to see the deeper meanings to life with God on His throne; the Bible is what reveals these truths to us with God the Holy Spirit guiding us into all truths. But prior to “regeneration” we are not privy to these truths. However now that we have been “born again” it is crucial to understand the differing roles of the flesh and the Spirit in our lives. The flesh by nature will always govern us towards pride and sin whilst the Spirit of God leads us into the paths of righteousness with our reliance upon His graces.

This monster “pride” is a deep rooted seed that must be obliterated from our lives; an impossible task for those who have not found forgiveness and repentance through faith. For those who are yet blind to spiritual truths. As Christians we must understand the “how to” in the equation to be liberated from that beast. Pride is the utopia of all that is sinful; it exalts us to a point above correction. Satan was filled with pride and resisted God and was able to sway one third of the angels to follow him. And I would remind you that he is a spiritual being. We find so much concerning this topic in scripture I am not sure it is even necessary to expound the idea as all should be familiar with God’s view concerning the proud. Let me use some of Solomon’s wisdom to drive home the prominence of the point; Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18)

Regardless of where we may find ourselves in our struggles against sin it is imperative that we understand that “humility” must be our launching pad as we approach the throne room of grace to be freed up to serve God with holiness as our objective. It must always be about looking to Jesus for sustenance. Pride in any form whatsoever excludes that delivery. If I accuse someone else of a weakness and excuse myself, pride is alive and well and the chance of me finding grace could very well elude me, a very real reality in our lives. Remember the account of Peter when he made his brash statement, which I believe was very sincere at the time; “Peter said to him, "Even though they all fall away, I will not." And Jesus said to him, "Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times." But he said emphatically, "If I must die with you, I will not deny you."” (Mark 14:29-31) – We all know the end of that account…. - And what of the man and Apostle Paul; he was a man like no other and he obviously understood this better than any other. Look at his delivery when contending for the faith against other Christians who opposed him as they forced him to pen these words- read 2Corinthians chapter 12 to get the full picture – but for the sake of time I have selected a single verse to stress my point;  “I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing.” (2Corinthians 12:11) – We have no boast outside of Christ. He has finished it all! We must understand this truth and it must be cemented into our personalities as we learn to use grace as a means to our end, God and heaven with all its glory.

With that now established how do we overcome the lessons of life with proficiency? It is obvious that we must repent from dead works (any thing we do to find favour from God on our own merits) and apply ourselves with faith towards our God. We must trust Him to get us home. Our dependencies must be locked upon Him and not have any confidence in our independence, our own abilities will only ever generate pride. Our enslavements to His provisions are a gift and not a work; “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)  - Therefore boasting (pride) in any form must be eradicated from our minds. It is the goodness of God that leads a man into repentance. David understood this after he had fallen into sin with the woman Bathsheba; “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.” (Psalms 51:2-4) – However we must understand our breach with regard to our own actions pertaining to our own sinful natures. It is up to us to seek out God’s grace to be a part of our lives as we require His help to change our natures and not our own abilities to see us through.

The Christian has been afforded the privilege of finding grace to overcome. We are also instructed to come to our God and Father in confidence to seek that grace out. The instruction is clear; “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16) - Let “us” (the Christian) “draw near” so that we may find a “help in time of our need” to get us through the trial which is God’s mercy and His grace. It is God who will decide our outcomes in and through any given trial. There is a responsibility placed upon us as individuals to learn this lesson and apply it correctly into our lives. I acknowledge that I am so far from applying this truth into my life with absolute proficiency, which in itself teaches me to be even more dependant upon my Lord and Saviour. Will we always end up as victors in our application? Sadly that answer is no, but we most certainly should be maturing as Christian in our application of our faith towards God.   

Temptation should drive us towards the lesson of our need to find God’s grace to overcome. We have one of three choices in the trial: try resist in our own strength, succumb to the pressure of it, or call upon our God to give us unmerited favour as we receive strength from Him to overcome and resist. This will be our lot in life on this side of heaven. However when we learn this lesson well it will leave us in a place of humility as we understand that it is the grace of God that has brought us through the trial. Boasting will never have any place in our minds as we understand that it is the goodness of God that has got us through whatever we face on a daily basis. If and when we fall, repentance must drive us to seek out God’s forgiveness for our sin. This will be an onward cycle that will be with us until we give up the ghost.

Let me end off with these encouraging words; “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31) – God help us all to learn this lesson well, Amen and Amen!

Signing off


Tyrone  

No comments: