The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Monday 9 February 2015

Learning the right lessons well!

Habits can be profitable, so long as they point us to Christ! After our salvation experience, our “born again” event that happened somewhere along life’s pilgrimage, the rules for us have changed and we have been instructed to now “put on the mind of Christ”, therefore if we do something that will help us “put on the mind of Christ” it will benefit us as well as those around me. With all this “load shedding” and the darkness that surrounds the space that we normally have well lit, it certainly throws our routine. However if someone walks into that dark room with a light in their hands, it will have the same effect as the person who puts on the mind of Christ; it will illuminate the area and darkness will flee!

These are good practices; we must look for them and nurture them. How are these good habits kept in toe? Obviously without a shadow of a doubt by the grace of God, it’s the goodness of God that leads a man to repentance and when we put on the mind of Christ that often requires repentance. It is God’s goodness that leads us there! Within the recesses of my own heart I have noticed that these positive habits, like waking up in the early hours of the morning, can at times be very destructive as it rears its head and turns what is  positive into something very negative, How so? Pride is a very wicked thing and must be kept at bay, this was Satan’s downfall! He took all the glory for himself; he forgot that it was God who had created him with all his beauty and wisdom!

Whatever we are in Christ, may we never forget that we are who we are by the grace of God. If we have more resolve than our brother in certain areas of our lives it is only because of the grace of God. If we cross that valley and begin to think more highly than we ort to think, our fall is just around the corner. Take heed: “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” (1Corinthians 10:12) - Our dependency is in the unseen, it is what our faith is built upon, and it feeds our hope which in turn stirs up love for others. Here is an interesting reminder of the mind of Christ; “One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessings will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.” (Proverbs 11:24-25)

Having said that there is another trap as effective that also deceives and it is this; we look to excuse our sin as if we are incapable of shedding our old natures. Even a snake has the ability to shed its skin! We must beseech God by His mercies to overcome all our Achilles heals that throw us violently off course. It is up to the individual to wrestle looking for grace to find victory. I understand that we will not always receive deliverance; it is often through the trial that our faith is tested. This was Paul’s testimony; “So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2Corinthians 12:7-10)

Warning! I have often unwittingly used this verse to excuse sin in my life. This is not what the verse implies! When we suffer wrong for doing what is right and we take it patiently, this is when the grace of God is made perfect in our weakness. This is Paul’s point; “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” Not weak due to my sin but weak with my rights that I am entitled to as an individual living in a democracy. This then is a good example of how we put on the mind of Christ!

Anything we can place in our daily lives that will help us put on the mind of Christ; can only ever benefit our cause so long as we remember to seek out our sister’s helps through it all and her name is Humility! As soon as arrogance and pride becomes our stance in life, we will certainly come tumbling down! God help us to learn this lesson well!

Signing off

Tyrone     
    



     



No comments: