The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Saturday 8 February 2014

Irony!

(2Corinthians 12: 10) “…For when I am weak, then I am strong”

Irony… what is irony? It means “a form of humour in which you use words to express the opposite of what the words really mean”.

Paul the Apostle liked the use of irony to help us understand certain truths about the walk of the Christian; how so? He came to a place in his life whereby he uses his own experience to teach others. We see Paul struggling with an infirmity (ailment), what that was I cannot with any certainty say, God Knows! Nevertheless, whatever that disability was, it caused him to earnestly seek out God’s face asking Him to remove it; God didn't! What can we conclude from this? God’s grace will always be sufficient for the believer!

Here is Paul’s experience…   

“So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2Corinthians 12:7-10)

So, instead of wrestling with God about a particular issue, rather find rest in your current predicament, making this truth your very own; “for when I am weak, then I am strong”.

With this principle rooted in Christ, who is the chief cornerstone to our foundation, let us help others just as He has helped us.

This morning is a daybreak full of sombreness as I consider my character and all my failures along this pilgrimage; although this at first glance would seem negative it carries with it great strength when applying the mind of Christ to the equation. A proverb I have come to love which has help me find repentance over differing sins throughout my lifetime is this; “for the righteous falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble in times of calamity.” (Proverbs 24:16) – And yet I know that it has always been the grace of God who in His mercy has helped me see the wood from the trees. Through different aids and in different circumstances He has brought me to a place of repentance, praise his merciful name! Have I deserved his forgiveness on my own merit? Absolutely Not! And yet I have found His forgiveness, thank you Father God. Thank you Lord Jesus!

What then is the purpose regarding all the lessons I am learning here on earth? They must bring me to a place whereby my experience, although vastly different from Paul’s, as his life was above reproach in every area, whereby mine certainly hasn’t been. Nevertheless, by the grace of God, the dirt on my knees must once and for all be finally dusted as I leave certain past follies in my wake. This in turn will empower me to help other who struggle in similar areas. This goes for every one of us; our experience must be positively used to help others…

We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. (Romans 15:1)

Here is what this means; “The apostle here lays down two precepts, with reasons to enforce them, showing the duty of the strong Christian to consider and condescend to the weakest.
I.            We must bear the infirmities of the weak, Rom_15:1. We all have our infirmities; but the weak are more subject to them than others - the weak in knowledge or grace, the bruised reed and the smoking flax. We must consider these; not trample upon them, but encourage them, and bear with their infirmities. If through weakness they judge and censure us, and speak evil of us, we must bear with them, pity them, and not have our affections alienated from them. Alas! it is their weakness, they cannot help it. Thus Christ bore with his weak disciples, and apologised for them. But there is more in it; we must also bear their infirmities by sympathizing with them, concerning ourselves for them, ministering strength to them, as there is occasion. This is bearing one another's burdens.” (Matthew Henry)

“Keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:21-25)  

Signing off

Tyrone




No comments: