The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Thursday 3 November 2011

Who shall live?


(Numbers 21:8) “…everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live."

What is it about a man’s ego, pride and makeup that tend to drive us to swelling thoughts that puffs us up with pride? I am not making reference to the pride that is obviously obnoxious and blatant for all to see. It is that inner pride that we hold within our own hearts which is possible to keep from other, but not from God. How often do I allow myself to get away with the obvious even when I know it is wrong, thinking that I will not be seen? Excusing myself, time and time again; then on the other hand I find I tend to beat myself up, as I constantly accuse. I am so self-absorbed, forgive me Lord!

What an amazing achievement the Lord Jesus achieved on Calvary. He was lifted up on a hill called Golgotha, its pinnacle higher than all its surroundings and there was a reason for that, so that all around could focus on Him. Even the blasphemer could not avoid His presence, this is why even those who reject the message of the Gospel still use His name in vain, have you ever thought about that? How many reject Christ’s accomplishment and yet they chose His name and not another when cursing, go figure! Just another confirmation that He lives!

Up on that hill and on a wooden cross He was in plain sight for all to see Him. He must always remain in plain sight; we must resolve to keep Him in the forefront of our minds and that above everything else. As soon as we begin to lose sight of Him, our focus shifts onto another and normally onto ourselves, a very dangerous place to be!

Do you remember when the children of Israel where in the wilderness and they had acknowledged their sin and were surrounded by venomous snakes, dead just waiting to lunge! Why were they in this position and then what was their instruction if bitten? They were unthankful but some realized their mistake…

“And the people spoke against God and against Moses, "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we loathe this worthless food." Then the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people, so that many people of Israel died. And the people came to Moses and said, "We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you. Pray to the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us." So Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole, and everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live." (Numbers 21:5-8)

What would save them? They needed to take their eyes off the serpent and their current dilemma and focus on another; they had to look at that which was in plain sight, that which was higher than them, in “type” they were instructed to look to Jesus. We too have been given the same instruction; repentance where and when needed but always looking to our Saviour the Lord Jesus to find it and not to ourselves as we so often tend to do. This is why we often hear about calamities in life, the death of a child or some other traumatic experience, for me it was HIV, to bring us to a place that we realise we are in desperate need, only when broken and without any other answer do some of us look at the “fiery serpent that was set on the pole”. There is no other way by which a man may be saved, nothing else will do!Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6): - And just like those in the Wilderness who had been bitten anxiously awaited death, but where thrown a life line, they acted on it. We too have been thrown a life line as sin has taken its toll on all. Jesus Christ the Lord beckons you to come, what will you do I wonder? Do not delay, make haste and look to Him as the cares of this life will begin to grow strangely dim. Struggles we will continue to have, but with the hope which now burns bright and clear, they will dwindle into the background as we focus on the brilliance of our magnificent Saviour and all His accomplishments.

Very, very soon we are going to see our King, how I long for that day, to finally be rid of this body of death. So many look to live as they look to prolong the inevitable by any means possible, life support, medication, chemotherapy and even anti-aging creams the common practice of today’s society. Should I share their sentiments? I suppose I have something built in that drives me to live, as we all do, but true life will and can only ever be found in the Lord Jesus. I say come Lord Jesus! But if you decide to prolong that day for the sake of some, then it is the Father will. Nevertheless, I am reaching a point in my life where the thought of death is rather inviting. That is the death of my flesh; a new door will open as my eyes will then see the spiritual realm once and for all. No more any hindrances, no more aching bones or operations. But above all things, forever to be with God almighty and to see my glorious Saviour in person is a day I long for. But while we live in our current states let us remember to always look to Him who has been high and lifted up, Jesus Christ our Lord, bless His name now and forever more, Amen!

Signing off

Tyrone


No comments: