The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Denial!

(Matthew 7:5) “…first take the log out of your own eye…”

There are some verses I tend to brush over, they are not as appealing or encouraging as other stanzas; on the surface our minds dismiss them as negative. We love to concentrate on the unconditional side of God’s love which is beyond measure, and so we should! But we will never automatically be drawn to the harder verses, those that speak of discipline which are full of constructive warnings, never consciously seeking out their truths and only because denial plays such a massive part in our lives.

In October 1993 I remember walking into the doctor’s office with what appeared to be a throat infection but walked out the following day with HIV, a death sentence! I was 27 years old at the time and at first ever fiber in my life did not want to accept this truth. Denial had taken hold of me and was now looking to aid the virus in my demise. In 2001 I was no longer fit to work and was admitted to hospital with glandular fever, phenomena, dementia and suspected tuberculosis. My CD4 (immune system) count had lowered so badly that is was operating at less than a percent of the norm, which should read a count of 1000 and now only recited a reading of 9. For seven years I had chosen to reject anti-retroviral medication. One of my physicians at the time did not think I would make it, but for the grace of God some ten years later here I am, as I sit punching at this keyboard with my stubby clumsy fingers. I never ever wanted to believe that I hadn’t actually accepted the fact I was HIV positive, as I had, or so I thought! As I was even open about it and spoke freely to all who posed the question. On the surface there was no hidden agenda but there was something deep down that was alive which tricked me into believing a lie and I supposed I wouldn’t die. Denial almost claimed another scalp! BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD!

HIV is a virus known to most, but many who contract the virus live out long periods of their life in denial and in fact some have even died in that state. Denial seems to be a common flaw amongst the human race. It is one of those ugly character flaws that sin has sunk its teeth into as it trickily deceives. There is no doubt who is behind this wicked deception, Satan the mastermind of sin and all its exploits. For as long as I was not willing to reach out for this lifeline, which was anti-retroviral medication I was toying with death, I was playing “Russian Roulette” and so is everyone when they exclude the bibles teachings on all topics.

With these thoughts in mind I have been lead to examine this verse and search out any root of denial that would look to rob me of my freedom in Christ: - You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.” (Matthew 7:5) – If I lie to myself but continue in denial it then makes me a hypocrite…Definition of HYPOCRITE. 1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. 2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs.

Now would be a good time for me to receive instructive direction from another tried and tested bible expositor, so that I may not be blind-sided by my own pet subject…  

“1. It is not every one who is fit to reprove. Those who are themselves guilty of the same faults of which they accuse others, or of worse, bring shame upon themselves, and are not likely to do good to those whom they reprove, Mat_7:3-5. Here is,
There are degrees in sin: some sins are comparatively but as motes, others as beams; some as a gnat, others as a camel: not that there is any sin little, for there is no little God to sin against; if it be a mote (or splinter, for so it might better be read), it is in the eye; if a gnat, it is in the throat; both painful and perilous, and we cannot be easy or well till they are got out. [2.] Our own sins ought to appear greater to us than the same sins in others: that which charity teaches us to call but a splinter in our brother's eye, true repentance and godly sorrow will teach us to call a beam in our own; for the sins of others must be extenuated, but our own aggravated. [3.] There are many that have beams in their own eyes, and yet do not consider it. They are under the guilt and dominion of very great sins, and yet are not aware of it, but justify themselves, as if they needed no repentance nor reformation; (my very own consideration,DENIAL) it is as strange that a man can be in such a sinful, miserable condition, and not be aware of it, as that a man should have a beam in him eye, and not consider it; but the god of this world so artfully blinds their minds, that notwithstanding, with great assurance, they say, We see. [4.] It is common for those who are most sinful themselves, and least sensible of it, to be most forward and free in judging and censuring others: the Pharisees, who were most haughty in justifying themselves, were most scornful in condemning others. They were severe upon Christ's disciples for eating with unwashen hands, which was scarcely a mote, while they encouraged men in a contempt of their parents, which was a beam. Pride and uncharitableness are commonly beams in the eyes of those that pretend to be critical and nice in their censures of others. Nay, many are guilty of that secret, which they have the face to punish in others when it is discovered. Cogita tecum, fortasse vitium de quo quereris, si te diligenter excusseris, in sinu invenies; inique publico irasceris crimini tuo - Reflect that perhaps the fault of which you complain, might, on a strict examination, be discovered in yourself; and that it would be unjust publicly to express indignation against your own crime. Seneca, de Beneficiis. But, [5.] Men's being so severe upon the faults of others, while they are indulgent of their own, is a mark of hypocrisy. Thou hypocrite, Mat_7:5. Whatever such a one may pretend, it is certain that he is no enemy to sin (if he were, he would be an enemy to his own sin), and therefore he is not worthy of praise; nay, it appears that he is an enemy to his brother, and therefore worthy of blame. This spiritual charity must begin at home; “For how canst thou say, how canst thou for shame say, to thy brother, Let me help to reform thee, when thou takest no care to reform thyself? Thy own heart will upbraid thee with the absurdity of it; thou wilt do it with an ill grace, and thou wilt expect every one to tell thee, that vice corrects sin: physician, heal thyself; I prae, sequar - Go you before, I will follow. See Rom_2:21. [6.] The consideration of what is amiss in ourselves, though it ought not to keep us from administering friendly reproof, ought to keep us from magisterial censuring, and to make us very candid and charitable in judging others. “Therefore restore with the spirit of meekness, considering thyself (Gal_6:1); what thou has been, what thou art, and what thou wouldst be, if God should leave thee to thyself.”
(2.) Here is a good rule for reprovers, Mat_7:5. Go in the right method, first cast the beam out of thine own eye. Our own badness is so far from excusing us in not reproving, that our being by it rendered unfit to reprove is an aggravation of our badness; I must not say, “I have a beam in my own eye, and therefore I will not help my brother with the mote out of his. A man's offence will never be his defence: but I must first reform myself, that I may thereby help to reform my brother, and may qualify myself to reprove him. Note, Those who blame others, ought to be blameless and harmless themselves. Those who are reprovers in the gate, reprovers by office, magistrates and ministers, are concerned to walk circumspectly, and to be very regular in their conversation: an elder must have a good report, 1Ti_3:2, 1Ti_3:7. The snuffers of the sanctuary were to be of pure gold.” (Matthew Henry)

This is now sound council and may it help me and all of us to first remove the log from our own eyes before we endeavour to be helpful to our brethren.

Signing off

Tyrone



No comments: