The link to my book - Destroy and Deliver (Autobiography)

Monday 25 July 2011

Our Kings Response!


(Matthew 25:40)  “And the King will answer them…”

If we were left to our own devises or our own disciplines where would that leave us? It seems to me that only the Christian who looks to shoot its wounded. But it is the injured that needs the medic. While training as a Marine back in 1985-86 it became obvious that not all where capable of the same hardship, some took the training very hard and where cracked rather easily, while others seemed to never be taken over the edge regardless of what was thrown at them. And it was these young men who were singled out and given the opportunity to enlist within the special units of their regiments. The Infantry had Para-bats, those who jumped from aeroplanes and the South African Special Forces Brigade (popularly known as "Recces"); those who would venture into enemy territory without support to spy out the enemy. The Navy had Divers who went through vigorous training of a different kind as they were often in the water and starved of oxygen and so claustrophobia played its part and not many would qualify. The Air force had pilots and Physical Training Instructors (PTI’s); they were not really the Elite but needed endurance to qualify. And then there was the South African Military Health Service a branch of the South African National Defence Force responsible for medical facilities and the training and deployment of all medical personnel within the force.

And on the physical side just like the Air Force it was an easy ride for most, but even they had their “Elite”, they were known as the “Ops Medics”, those trained for the frontline of battle. I am told their training was also dynamic. These men needed a different kind of endurance, were they capable of high-pressure situation with their lives threatened while trying to save a life of another.

I clearly recall an incident that tested my resilience to a medical situation while undergoing training in Simonstown in Cape Town with a soldier and friend of mine, we were on the same course and we had been through vigorous tests over the year both physically and mentally without too much difficultly. However he kept a secret and he had never informed me that he was an epileptic, as this would have immediately disqualified him for this Coxswain course. In fact he would have been exempt from almost all we had endured over the year. One day while sitting next to me on a bus he collapsed and became to froth at the mouth and convulse uncontrollably. I had never witnessed anything like it and I panicked. I had now been shown my vulnerability and I failed the test; I was no longer in control and did not know what to do. From that day forth I had new respect for “Ops Medics”.

As Christians we all are at war and if we were to only look out for the strong what kind of hope would the stragglers have. We must learn to carry our wounded; they are just as much part of God’s army for Christ has also died for them. Why then do we look down on them as weak, have we forgotten where we once were? We were lost and without hope but now we have an eternal hope. So if we see our brother struggling let us as it were leave the comfort of the ninety-nine and go out and assist the one in need, even with the fiery darts flying over-head. But through this process let us remember this instruction from Jude;keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.” (Jude 1:21-23) 

Let us all remember to do the work of the “OPS MEDIC”, remember the bruised reeds for Christ will not let them be broken.

“I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'” (Matthew 25:36-45) 


Signing off

Tyrone





No comments: